SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

tube balance replacement

A contractor from Bellingham, WA says:
Hi,
I have an old house (built 1931) and am looking for a replacement for a tube balance. I didn't see anything on your webpage that matches this. I have enclosed some photos to assist.

The tube measures 27 3/4 inches in length with the bottom 1/4" being recessed to fit in the curved bracket that holds it to the sash. The thin long flange is at the top and screws into the jam and the screw (seen in photo) screws into the sash. It measures just under 1/2" in diameter. When I wind it the spring loses tension and I imagine the only thing to do is to get a replacement. Do you carry something like this?

Thanks so much!
User submitted photos of their old spiral balance.
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
Thank you for posting your images on the discussion board.

This specific balance is no longer made. The replacement would be the Swisco S500-28 Spiral Balance.

You can use the 17-007 or 17-012 Sash Brackets.
A home owner from Bellingham, WA says:
Thanks for the reply! I'm trying to figure out how the new balances would attach to my wood sash/jam.

My current balance has a tab (seen on original posted photo) that screws into the jam (it is just visible when lower sash is down all the way (window closed). You can see this on the new attached photo.

Would the top of the new balance (round tube with hole) screw into the jam in the same location?
Also, where would the sash bracket mount? With my current tube balance the sash bracket mounts into the groove in the sash and the bottom of the tube balance sets in place there.

Looking at your guide for how to install Non-Tilt Spiral Balances it looks like the sash bracket might screw into the bottom of the sash? Is that correct? If not, where does it attach? Does that prevent the window from closing all the way (due to the thickness of the bracket)?

Thanks so much for your assistance.

User submitted photo of wood window sash.
Profile picture of Paul
The balance tube is installed at the top of the window jamb. The bottom bracket (17-007 and 17-012) that is screwed on the bottom of the sash is very thin and should not be noticed.
A home owner from Bellingham, wA says:
Thanks so much. Will place my order. I posted this follow up question a 2nd time because I didn't think it had gone through, but it did. So please ignore the repeat question.
A home owner from Bellingham, WA says:
Thanks for the info. I still have a question about the proper length for the replacement tube. The old tube measures 27.75 inches but does not go all the way to the bottom of the sash (see photo#1) nor to the top of the sash (see photo #3) . The sash measures approximately 30 1/8 inches.

Also, how will attach the top of the tube to the window jam? The current tube has a tab that sticks up so I can screw it to the jam. Do I just angle a screw in at the top of the sash? (see photo #2)

Thanks so much!

Regards,
Tom
User submitted phoot of window balance.
Profile picture of Paul
Our set up for S500-28 with 17-007 or 17-012 bracket works in opposite direction. Instead of having the bracket screwed to jamb, you installed the tube section of the balance at the top of window jamb and the bracket to the bottom of the sash.

28" should work for you. Line up the balance top hole to the side jamb. Let the spiral fall out of the tube and touch the sill, then mark were you you screwed the balance tube.
A home owner from Bellingham, WA USA says:
Thanks for the information. Sorry, one more question about this instal. So I need to mount the balance at the top of the side jam. The silver metal balance tube will then be visible when the window is closed (sash down). Is that correct? With my old hardware only a small metal tab was visible at the top of the sash when the window was closed.

Thanks so much for the help.

Profile picture of Donna
Donna from SWISCO responded:
Yes, the tube will show when the sash is closed. Also be sure to take a look at our guide for adjusting non-tilt window spiral balances.
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)