SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

tube sash balance replacement

A home owner from San Diego, CA says:
Hi. I need to find a replacement for a balance that broke when re-glazing my window. The balance is 18" long and approx 5/8" diameter with the #2 imprinted on the metal near teh bottom that attaches to the bottom of the window. Can you offer a recommendation?
Thanks,
Dana
A customer submitted photo of spiral balance.
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
Thank you for posting, Dana, and for the picture! Before I can recommend an applicable replacement spiral balance, could you first tell me what the weight of your sash is? This will help us determine the tip color of your replacement balance.
A home owner from San Diego says:
Paul,
Thank you for the response. I'll have to weigh it and respond back to you tomorrow. Or, does it need to be the exact weight or can it be a guesstimate?
Profile picture of Paul
As exact a weight as you can get would be preferable. The appropriate tip color will help the longevity of your future spiral balances considerably.
Paul,
Weight of the sash is ~10 lbs. Thanks again for your help with this.
Dana
Profile picture of Paul
Thank you! In that case, please take a look at our S500-18 spiral balance with a red tip, along with our 17-007 bracket. Do you think these might match what you have?
Paul, thanks, that looks like it will work as the replacement. I appreciate the help.
Dana
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)