SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

upgrading interior lock

A quick learner says:
Hello:

Attached are photos that help document my frustrations trying to achieve an upgrade from an interior lock only on an existing patio door to a keyed exterior locking handle.

I have received SWISCO #82-063 as a replacement handle assembly. I also ordered (and received) SWISCO # 82-320 (exterior handle with keyed locking cylinder) with the presumption that it would be interchangeable with the exterior pull handle that is included with SWISCO #82-063 and would be successful in converting the existing patio door to an exterior, keyed lock entry. It would appear that, in fact, the two parts (SWISCO #82-063 and SWISCO 82-320) are not compatible with each other. Hopefully, there is either another interior handle available that WILL work with the exterior, keyed and lockable handle (SWISCO 82-320) or that there is another exterior, keyed and locking handle that will work with SWISCO 82-063.

The attached photos demonstrate that SWISCO #82-063 works just fine as a swap-out/updated (but different color) handle for the existing door but, as the original handle, doing this only locks from the interior side of the door/interior part of the room. I assumed/presumed SWISCO #82-320 would work with SWISCO #82-063 except the holes to fasten both interior and exterior parts of the composite assembly are not in alignment. I have already considered trying to use SWISCO #82-320 without the back plate, but that doesn't work, either, because the existing hole in the exterior of the door frame is only 3/8" and the hole necessary to receive the rear protrusion of the lock cylinder if the mounting plate is not used is 5/8". I have no way (that I know of) to enlarge the existing hole in the exterior part of the frame of the existing door to accommodate the rear extension of the lock cylinder.

H E L P!!
User submitted photos of patio door hardware.
Profile picture of Dave
Dave from SWISCO responded:
Sorry to hear you're having trouble. The 82-320 should be able to work with the 82-063. Keep in mind that you do not use that plate that comes with the 82-320. You would just mount the pull to the outside handle that comes with the 82-063 set.
A home owner from Carlsbad, CA says:
Excuse me...."I have already considered trying to use SWISCO #82-320 without the back plate, but that doesn't work, either, because the existing hole in the exterior of the door frame is only 3/8" and the hole necessary to receive the rear protrusion of the lock cylinder if the mounting plate is not used is 5/8". I have no way (that I know of) to enlarge the existing hole in the exterior part of the frame of the existing door to accommodate the rear extension of the lock cylinder. "

It appears, then, that Dave from SWISCO either didn't read all of my posting or he skipped over what I reported about trying to use the exterior keyed lock pull without the back plate.
Profile picture of Dave
Ah, I see. I'm sorry I missed the part about the 5/8" hole vs the 3/8" hole. You are correct, you would need to use the 82-320 handle and key cylinder as your outside handle alone. There are no other keyed outside pulls that can work with the 82-063, though. The manufacturer specifically made the 82-320 to work with this handle set. I had an idea. Try drilling out the hole in the exterior part of the handle rail of the patio door to accept the back end of the key cylinder. You would also need to cut down the tail of the key cylinder to fit. Would that be a better solution?
A handy person from Carlsbad, CA says:
It would be an easier task if a 5/8" hole were to be drilled in the first place without the presence of the existing hole that is 3/8". The challenge I feel I'm being presented with is enlarging the existing 3/8" hole. Do you know whether there is a special tool, bit, or procedure that would do this within the necessary requirements for precision? Do you know of a procedure that would allow the hole to be enlarged without removing it and (perhaps) without a drill press?

Harold Stidolph
Profile picture of Dave
You don't need to use a drill press. All you would need to do is use a 5/8" drill bit (you might need one with a tapered down end to fit your drill). Just make sure when drilling you hold the drill straight. You could also try a rounded type rat tail file (this could be a longer process) to enlarge the hole. Whatever you do take your time. You do not want to damage the patio door frame or the glass. Also talk to the people at your local hardware store or home center and see what they suggest. Every handy person has their own tricks and it would be good to pool some local know-how, especially if they're familiar with doors in your area.
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)