SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

Vent Lock for existing windows WITHOUT

A home owner from Midwest says:
Are any of your vent locks designed for installation by the homeowner in existing double hung windows? It was indicated that 26-219 is not intended for this purpose. Thank you.
Profile picture of Mike
Mike from SWISCO responded:
Actually, the 26-219 vent lock is meant for application on existing windows, replacing your existing vent lock.
Thanks for the reply. My windows do not have any existing vent locks - the install would be new. OK to do this? If so, what dimensions would I want to cut?

Thanks.
Profile picture of Mike
The 26-219 Vent Lock is a replacement part, it is not meant for new application.
A home owner from PA says:
Do you sell a vent lock for windows that DO NOT have an existing vent lock? I would need to cut the openings myself and install a new vent lock. Thanks
Profile picture of Mike
No, I am sorry currently all of our vent locks are made to replace vent locks of the same style. We have not been able to find anyone that makes a vent lock for new application.
A home owner from PA says:
Thanks for the reply. We didn't realize the new windows didn't have the vent locks when they were installed. Any ideas on other products that may be used to allow safe partial opening of windows?
Profile picture of Mike
I do not have any suggestions, but this is a question that is asked a lot. If we find a solution in the future for adding vent locks to a window, we will post it here.
Profile picture of Mike
I know it's been four months, but I wanted to give you an update. We've recently added the 26-387 Vent Lock Kit, which can be added to any window, even if you don't have an existing vent lock.

You can see how the 26-387 Vent Lock Kit works here:

A home owner from Pennsylvania/Florida says:
WONDERFUL! This is something we need at BOTH our house in PA and in FL. One question: does the lock always go to the lock position when the window is closed? Or, does it lock up until you set it ?
Profile picture of Mike
If the window sash is above the 26-387 Vent Lock, it will engage the lock when it comes down. However, you can unlock the 26-387 Vent Lock, allowing you to open the window without interference.
A quick learner from Evanston, IL says:
Thrilled to see this product back in stock! 2 questions:

(1) Would you recommend that two of the locks be installed on a given window (one for each side)?

(2) The windows I have are vinyl (not wood) frame. It looks to me in the YouTube video like the example window might also have a vinyl frame, but I just want to be sure. I'm a bit concerned about drilling into the vinyl frame unless this product is really designed for that use.

Thanks!
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:
Thanks for posting. We do recommend that you install two of these locks for each window. They do come in pairs when purchased. The window used in the video was vinyl, as well.
A quick learner from Evanston, IL says:
Hi,

I have one more question to see if this product will work for my windows. I'm wondering if I have enough clearance on my window frames to be able to affix the screw post on the back. The frame is a bit narrow, and there's only about 1.75 cm of space. I can't tell from the video how far in the screw hole centers are (and how far in the screw post is in the back.

I'm attaching a couple of pictures of my window frame (though it might be hard to make out) to see if you can clarify if the 1.75 cm would be wide enough for where the holes & screw post goes.

Thanks!
Profile picture of Mike
If you take a look at the picture below, you'll see the 26-387 needs about 5/8" (1.6 cm) of space on the face of the window for it to fit properly.
User submitted picture of 26-387 Face Mount Single Action Vent Lock Kit measurement from shim position to edge of lock.
I think it should work if you have 1.75 cm of space.

Let me know if you have any other questions.
The images are shown in white. Does the product come in any other colors? If not, it would be great to have choices to better match the stain/paint of the windows. It looks like a great solution to my needs!
Profile picture of Donna
Donna from SWISCO responded:
Yes, we can have this kit made in Beige, Clay or Black.
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)