SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

vinyl window "panel" for screened in porch

A quick learner from South Dakota says:
We have a screened in porch. I want to "create" a vinyl panel "window" to insert on the inside. I can use the screen frame (wood) as the stop. If I make a aluminum frame vinyl window panel, what hardware will I need to secure it in place. (Top/bottom or sides).
Profile picture of Dave
Dave from SWISCO responded:
We used to install storm panels for screen enclosures at one time. There are many options available for you. For instance, we have used the 70-145 angle clip along with the 33-089 screw. That would be good if you are recessing the storm panel in the opening. You could also use something like the 70-053 flush clip, 70-114 flush die cast clip, or if you have just a 1/4" off set, the 70-110. If you like, you could install the 62-022 threaded riv-nut and use a threaded screw like the 70-112 or 33-083. Please review these options and let me know what you think.
A quick learner from South Dakota says:
Hmmmm..... I must not be a Quick Lerner b/c I don't see the application for 70-145 in my recessed set up. Yep, my screen won't be flush with the surround. It will be recessed so the riv-nut setup doesn't seem to me like that would work. And I failed to mention that I want something that will pop in and out with some ease. And so I don't want to be using a screw setup in each instance. I did look at the slip on latch with bail hook (70-204) for the bottom of the frame (which you did not mention). (Does the slip on latch attach to the aluminum frame then?) But it seems like I would need some kind of bracket at the top too--something that would secure the position at the top. In my wildest dreams, I wish there was a bracket to set the bottom of the frame in that would allow it to angle toward me and then some kind of bracket or latch at the top that would allow me to just open the top and some apparatus that would hold that in place and let me "leave the top open."
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
Since you are thinking of using the 70-204 slip on latch with ball head screw, you could go with the 70-056 screen hanger kit. The way this functions is the screen slides into the channel clip and swings in towards the stop, then you clip on the bottom ring to the ball head screw. The 70-056 kit already comes with the ball head screws, so you can just use the 70-004 pull ring that is held in with the screen spline.
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)