want replacement handles for 1960's (?) Vistarama window opener

A handy person from Prattville, AL says:
I am seeking replacement handles for a few transom-type windows (? terminology?), that are hinged on the top and open with a side-swing of the handle as shown in the picture. The logo says "Vistarama Windows" and the house was built in the 1960's so I am guessing that they are from that era. If you don't supply them, any leads are appreciated.
User submitted photos of a window operator.
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:
This is an operator for an awning window. I'm afraid the lever is not available by itself; if yours is broken, you will need an all new operator. Look at our 39-070 to start out, I think this may be a match.
A handy person from Prattville AL says:
39-070 certainly looks like the one. Looks like your company is a good resource for this sort of project. I'll pass this info along to the homeowner for their decision. Thank you!
Profile picture of Tom
It was my pleasure, and thank you for referencing us. That is a huge help. If you ever need anything else, we're always here to help.
A handy person from Prattville AL says:
Is it possible to get just the handle?
Profile picture of Tom
Unfortunately, it is not. If your lever is broken, your only option is to replace the whole operator.
A quick learner from Michigan says:
I have a similar type handle on a window in a home built in 1966. There appear to be no manufacturer markings on the unit I have, but the handle is of an identical shape. The handle is broken so I know I need to replace the entire unit.
My question is can this style of handle-operated unit be replaced with a crank style? Are the sizings between the handle type and the crank type typically the same? If so, can you point me toward some options?
Thank you.
Profile picture of Dave Sr.
Dave Sr. from SWISCO responded:
I do believe you can adapt one of the crank type operators like our 39-015, depending on the size needed. However keep in mind that you will need to retro fit the window frame to accommodate the new style. You might have to make new mounting holes and make up a different wood sill cover to match the different base of the operator.
A home owner from Springfield, Ohio says:

Hello, I just bought a 1961 MCM with Wabash Vistarama windows throughout and I'm seeking replacement hardware for several windows. They are casements that open out from the bottom.

Help!

Thumbnail of the uploaded file named VISTARAMA Windows
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_20200115_165638.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_20200115_165652.jpg
Profile picture of Tom

Hello! I've placed you in an older discussion from  a few years ago where another customer had the same window and hardware. I recommend reviewing the info here to determine if our proposed solution can work for you. Let me know if you have any questions!

How to Replace an Awning Operator
How to Replace an Awning Operator
VIDEO
WATCH >
Watch How To Repair A Casement Window Crank Operator
Watch How To Repair A Casement Window Crank Operator
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to replace an Awning window operator
How to replace an Awning window operator
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Install a Kawneer Commercial Door Pivot
How to Install a Kawneer Commercial Door Pivot
VIDEO
WATCH >
SWISCO Window Operator Crank Handles
SWISCO Window Operator Crank Handles
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to identify casement and awning operators
How to identify casement and awning operators
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.