SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

weatherstrip on wood casement windows

A quick learner from Carbondale, IL says:
Your 3 ft. weatherseal for casement windows, Old Marvin, will this fit in an Andersen casement window as well? I have Andersen windows installed in 1965.
Profile picture of Paul Sr.
Paul Sr. from SWISCO responded:
I tried researching through old Andersen catalogs for information on their weather-stripping but I came up empty handed. It is possible this weather-stripping will work on your older Andersen casement windows but I will not be able to tell without looking at a sample. Try taking a piece of the existing weather-stripping from your Andersen window and match it up to the profile you see in the 55-106 product image.
A quick learner from Illinois says:
I will buy a few of these and test them out, if they work I will let you know, as it might be helpful for other owners of Andersen windows.
A home owner from Lubbock, Texas says:
Our home has Caradco wood casement windows. Our home was built new in 1996, I think. We researched that Caradco became a part of Jeld Wen in 1997. Our weather stripping needs to be replaced. Will this # 55-106 fit and snap into the same groove that the weather stripping was in from the factory? We are trying to find the exact replacement weather stripping so it will fit better. Please respond. Thanks. Ken Gilmore, Lubbock, Texas
Profile picture of Paul Sr.
Paul Sr. from SWISCO responded:
Companies that manufactured wood casement windows often used the same type of weather-stripping. The 55-106 weather-stripping may work on your Caradco window but I cannot say for sure. Do you have some of the original weather-stripping that you can match to the product picture?
A professional from archuleta county, co says:
My inward swinging 8-pane windows (100 year old) never really had weather stripping on the bottom (have been nailed shut last 50 years). Are these something that I could install if I made grooves for them to fit in?
Profile picture of Dave
Dave from SWISCO responded:
I believe so. Almost all weather-stripping on wood-sash windows are installed into a groove in the sash. Look to see if the groove already exists. If you need to cut a groove into the sash, be careful and always take safety precautions (dust mask, gloves, goggles). Take a look on the website for other types of weather stripping that may fit. If you're still not sure, take a picture of the window and its measurements and send the photo to us and we'll see how we can help.
A quick learner from West Virginia. says:
Not sure I'm looking at the correct replacement or if it is weather stripping. They are Pella wooden casements going back to 1977. GREAT Windows. The white PVC stripping surrounding the wooden frame is 1/2 inch wide with a raised ridge on one side. Not sure if one must glue it on or is this is a self seal product. I have six - 6 foot by 20 in wooden casements.
Profile picture of Dave
I'm not sure what Pella uses on their casement windows for weather-stripping. Take a look at SWISCO product code 55-169 & 55-106-6. See if the size and shape match up to your sample.
A quick learner says:
above question from ken gilmore on caradco casement weather stripping.My windows are from 1984.Did the 55-106 work or the 55-106-6
Profile picture of Dave
We haven't gotten any confirmation on the weather stripping for the caradco series working or not. The best plan for now is to show us what weather stripping you have and it's measurements. Just send the pictures over to us and we'll do our best to assist you.
A home owner from MA says:
We 22 year old Marvin custom French casement windows and need to replace the weatherstrip on all of them. What is the part number and option that fits that groove.
Profile picture of Mike
Mike from SWISCO responded:
We would be happy to research this for you if you cannot identify the needed hardware on our site. Please send detailed photos with measurements.
A quick learner from Lindenhurst, IL says:
I have Lincoln, wood casement windows made about 1989 -- need head and sill weatherstripping replacements -- any idea where I can obtain some?

Thanks

Rich
Profile picture of Mike
Rich, if you're having a hard time locating the correct replacement weatherstripping, simply subunit a few photos of your current weatherstripping so we can take a look and help you find a possible replacement.
A contractor from chattanooga, TN says:
I am restoring some turn-of-the-century casements (8 pair) for a client. I see no signs that they ever had weatherstripping. There's no rabbet or nail holes. I'll have the sashes in my shop and can easily rabbet a groove if that's the best way. Can you recommend one of your products for these?
Profile picture of Mike
We will most likely need to see photos of the sash and frame in order to determine what type you'd need. As far as what dimensions of weatherstripping you'll need, that will a bit difficult without having an original piece to measure.
A home owner from Birmingham, AL says:
In a house built in 1976 the weatherstripping on the casement style windows has degraded and needs to be replaced. I'm having trouble finding the right item. I've attached a picture of the old weatherstripping, and one of a corner of the window showing the groove and frame and window.
A customer submitted photo of casement window weatherseal.
Profile picture of Dave
Thanks for posting! We have a few options you can consider that I think would work as viable replacements. Please take a look at our 55-170 Malta Weatherseal, 58-170 Foam Filled Weatherseal, 55-172 Mobile Home Snap-In, 55-106 Weater-stripping, and 55-169 Leaf Weatherseal. Also be sure to look at 58-055 Bubble seal with angled base; I have that on my windows at home.
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)