SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

weird spiral balance replacement

A purchasing agent from Missoula, MT says:
I have identified these parts as a spiral window balance of some kind. I am, however, at a loss as to where to find these. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thank you
User submitted photos of window balances.
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
Thanks for posting! These are strange looking spiral balances, that's for sure. It looks like they're for a wood window, though. Is that correct? If so, I think you should consider our Series 500 spiral balance with a 17-012 metal bracket. Do you think you could use this hardware as a substitute? Let me know what you think.
Thank you for your help. Series 500 isn't going to work, the attachment pieces aren't compatible (even with the 17-012 metal bracket). I found out that they were manufactured in the early 1940's and traced them back to a company in New York. Have searched every available source throughout the whole United States, and it is a no-go!
Profile picture of Paul
Thanks for getting back to us. Before I can recommend anything else, can you confirm whether or not these balances are for a wood window?
Yes, they are for wood windows.
Profile picture of Paul
Thank you! In that case, I don't think you'll find a closer match other than the Series 500, which was made for wood windows after WWII. You should be able to convert your window to accept these balances.

It's a fairly simple set up. You simply screw the bracket into the bottom of the sash and then attach the balance to the bracket. What makes your window incompatible, exactly?
Ok, going to double check that, thank you!
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)