SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

which spriral balance to buy

A home owner from Dunedin, Fla says:
I have a 23 x 3/8" spiral balance without any colored plastic. Each window sash is 50" w x 24" h and is hurricane double thick glass. The windows are heavy to me. I need two spiral balance springs. What do I order? What tool should I get? Thank you...saw you on google.
User submitted photos of window hardware.
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
If your windows have insulated glass, you should see if you can fit a 5/8" balance instead. Like you said, they're going to be heavy. You should confirm the weight of the sash, though, just so we know exactly what color tip you need. You can weigh it on any common bathroom scale.
A home owner from Dunedin, Fla says:
I weighed the sash...it is 27 pounds. I also noted that the upper sash has a red tip 5/8 spiral balance that is 20 inches in length. The lower sash has a 23" 3/8 spiral in both sides. There is room for a 5/8 diameter balance. So, what do you think I should order. Thanks...Alan
User submitted photos of a window balance.
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
Thanks for confirming. Someone must have repaired the sash before but didn't have a 5/8" balance on hand. I think our Series 600 is a better choice for your window. I would recommend our S600-23 spiral balance with blue tip, specifically.
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)