SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

width of 87-187 roller

A quick learner from Utah says:
What is the width of the roller? I am looking for one 3/8" but find some are 1/4"
User submitted a photo of a window roller.
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
I don't believe our 87-187 will replace what you have. The housing is far too different. I'm actually not familiar with yours. Could you give me the size of your roller housing? I specifically need the width, length, and height. Thank you!
A quick learner from Layton, Utah says:
Amsco Windows, manufactured in Salt Lake City used these rollers for years on their aluminum slider windows and are on thousands of four plexes and larger throughout the valley. They changed over to vynal about 15 years ago and do not carry parts for previous windows. Both have a 1/2" roller x 3/8" wide, but the white housing does not hold up to the black one, likely due to UV light which make white plastic brittle over time.

The black housing is 15/32" wide (a critical measurement). Top of the roller is 5/8" above the bottom of the base, height of the housing is not critical. Note the white housing does not overlap an extrusion, thus it will work as a left or right side roller and really only needs a single mounting hole, and mounts in the single hole on the corner of the extrusions, thus length is of no concern. The black housing has the lip over on one side, and thus must have a hole at each end to mount as a left or right roller. The black housing is more ridgid and need not have the lip over on one side, thus need only contain a single mountaining hole. The black housing would be prefered but either will work. I notice the newer white housings do not contain the tiny forks to hold the roller, thus would not easily break off.
Thank you,
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:
Thanks for getting back to us, and for the additional information. I think we may have found something that will replace this. We are currently working on adding it to our catalog and I will let you know the moment it becomes available!
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:
Alright, please see our new 87-217 replacement roller and see what you think.
A quick learner from Layton, Utah says:
Not sure if this new part will work, but may as it is close. The original fits in the bottom aluminum extrusion and is a tight fit, I measure it as 23/32" wide, your new part is 3/4" and too wide I believe, but am sure could be sanded down. The 13/32" diameter wheel may be ok, Does it ride 5/8" from the base of the part? I notice the lip over appears the same as mine. Is there a 1/2" clearance under the lip to the base? and the lip can only be on one side, which your photo does not reveal. If this part will work, I am sure you will sell many, as AMSCO manufactured them for years and are throughout the States around Salt Lake City.
Profile picture of Dave
Dave from SWISCO responded:
I checked with the manufacturer and they say it is used on Amsco windows. I'm not sure about the rest of your measurements, but the width of the base of the 87-187 is just under 3/4". The brass wheel is close to 3/8" in diameter. The base is only 7/16" tall with a 1/4" gap under the lip on the one side. We list these dimensions on the 87-187 store page, as well.
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)