window balance

A handy person from Coral Springs FL says:
We have a few windows with broken balances. The first has 2950 stamped on the side and is 30 inches in length. The window is single hung and weighs 30 lbs. The second window has 3635 stamped on the side, is 37 inches and weighs 23 lbs. The shoes (bottom plastic part correct?) appear to be the same in both windows (with wings, 7/8"wide). Do you have parts that can replace these? And if so, which ones?

Thanks.
User submitted photos of a window balance.
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:
Thanks for posting. This could be either the Series 380 or Series 385 balance depending on the depth of the shoe. It looks like you just gave us the wing width, but the depth is what's different between them. This is the heel-to-toe measurement. For the top sash guide, see our 18-161.
A quick learner from Coral Springs FL says:
Thank you for your response.

The measurement of the shoe depth is 7/8" (sorry not the width). The width (wing to wing) is 15/16". Both window balance shoes (balance stamped 2950 and balance stamped 3635) measure the same. Does this shoe size fit the measurements for Swisco series 380 and 385?

If so and by reviewing your web site, it seems I would order series 380 for my window stamped 3635 and series 385 for my window stamped 2950. Is this correct?

Again, thank you so very much for your help.

Profile picture of Tom
The stamps have no bearing on the Series. I'm not sure why you would order the Series 385 for one and the Series 380 for the other, unless the nylon attachments are different between each one.

If both shoes are 7/8", I think the Series 380 may be what you want. The shoe that comes with this is 1" deep. I suspect yours was originally 1" deep, and simply wore down with time.

We have detailed pictures and dimensions for both of the balances we mentioned. I highly recommend looking through our information to make sure you have the right thing.
Hi Tom,

Looked at all the measurements carefully and will be ordering series 380 for both windows and the recommended sash guides. Thanks so very much for your help.

Kay
Sorry - another quick question. When ordering, there is the "required options". For my window stamped 3635, do I choose 3630 or 3640?

Then for my window stamped 2950, why is there an additional .75 charged?

Thanks, Kay
Profile picture of Tom
Well, let's see. Going back to your first post, you have a 30" long balance for a 30 pound sash, and a 37" long balance for a 23 pound sash. For the 30" balance, I'd recommend the 2950 option, which can carry a sash weight of 28 through 32 pounds, according to the chart on the S380-30 store page. For the 37" long balance, I'd recommend the 3640 option, which can carry 23 through 30 pounds, based on the S380-37 chart.

Stamps like the 2950 and represent heavy duty springs, which is why they cost a bit more. Once upon a time we had to have these custom made, since they were extra strength, but we have since made them more convenient to purchase.
Great Tom. You've been very helpful.

Thanks, Kay
How to Repair a Jammed Window
How to Repair a Jammed Window
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Replace a Top Sash Guide [1080p]
How to Replace a Top Sash Guide [1080p]
VIDEO
WATCH >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.