SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

window balance identification

A handy person from Florida says:
The overall length of metal section is 18". Width where spring is housed is 9/16. Depth of flange section is 5/8 in. Stamp on metal section is 1720.I think the top is a 19-002 but the shoe, I am not sure if it is a 15-001 or a 15-002. The shoe measures 1x1x 1/2 but there is some material missing from abrasion so it could be a 15-002. I'm not sure just how exact the measurements are. Thanks for the help!
User submitted photos of a window balance.
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
Thanks for contacting us. Among the measurements you gave, which is the depth of the shoe? That is the only difference between the 15-001 and 15-002. Is it 1"? If so, the 15-002 shoe would be the one you want to go with. If that's the case then I recommend our Series 351 channel balance.
The depth of the shoe measures 1.022", there is some wear/deterioration on the shoe. Since the depth is just over the 1" I wasn't sure if it could actually be the 15-001 and be worn down almost the 1/8 in. If there is a question of how much wear there is, would it make sense to order the balance with the 19-001 shoe and file down the show if needed?
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
I think that's a great idea. These shoes are known to wear down over the years, so if it's over an inch I think there's a good chance it was the larger 15-001. But, as you said, in a worst case scenario you can always file it down a little. I've done it myself when push came to shove.
Thanks so much. I'll be getting my order together.
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)