window balances

A quick learner from Okeechobee,Fl. says:
The aluminum one is numbered 28DS48L. The steel one is numbered 2890R 48. they both came out of the same windows not sure if the aluminum one is a replacement one.The total length including the ends is 30 inches.
User submitted photos of a window balance.
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
Your pictures are showing two different balances. The bent one looks like our Series 390 while the other resembles our Series 385 instead. You might want to check an identical window in the house to confirm the proper replacement.

I also recommend weighing your sash on a scale to determine the proper stamp option.
I went and pulled a window in the old school house and it is the 385 series one. I really did not have a way to check the weight on the sash but would say around 40lbs. I noticed the that the replacements that have been put in do not have the feet on the ends I think that it helps having them to center them in the channel.The ones I need are stamped 28DS 48L
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
Ah, I see. The reason we asked you to weigh your sash is that I think it may weigh 48 pounds, based on your stamp. However, this is an extraordinarily heavy sash, and it would require your balances to be custom made. Considering this, I highly recommend getting the exact weight just to be 100% certain. Custom made balances cannot be returned if they are incorrect. These are delicate systems so getting the proper spring strength is important.
A quick learner from Okeechobee,Fl says:
Paul the window weighs 46.7 pounds. I guess these would be custom made. How do I go about ordering these? I need quite a few.
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:
Great, that's a huge help. This will definitely need to be custom made, but it's fairly easy on your end. I will make up a custom order link and email it to you. You can use this link to add a unique product to your cart. You can then check out as if it were a normal order. Nothing more to it than that.

I can give you a price quote and the order link right now. All I need to know is how many you need.
Hey Tom I would need 40 of them if that's no big deal. I really appreciate all the help. Soon as I receive the link I will order. Thanks!!!!
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:
That's no problem at all. I'm of course happy to help. We really appreciate your business. I will email the custom order form immediately, so keep an eye on your inbox.
How to Replace a Non-Tilt Channel Balance
How to Replace a Non-Tilt Channel Balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Repair a Jammed Window
How to Repair a Jammed Window
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Identify Replacement Channel Balances
How to Identify Replacement Channel Balances
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to replace a non-tilt channel balance
How to replace a non-tilt channel balance
GUIDE
READ >
Choosing a Non-tilt Channel Balance: What Will We Need?
Choosing a Non-tilt Channel Balance: What Will We Need?
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.