SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

window channel balances

A handy person from St. Augustine, FL says:
Hello there
I have a client here in north Florida with three windows that won't stay up. All three are made by Kinco and measure 47 inches wide and 60 inches tall. I've noticed that on two of them, the channel balances appear to be in the upper portion and exposed. They're not in the lower portion behind the edge of the sash. They also have some kind of square-like cap over the top as you can see in the photo I sent. They even have some numbers stamped on them. The numbers are 29 6 EV CMC 2. The third one has the channel balances in the lower portion at either side of the sash. Could you help me identify the parts needed so I can order them from you? -Eric
User submitted photos of a window balance.
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
Hey, Eric. Looks like the top sash guides broke, which allowed the balances to shoot up. It's possible that all you need to do is replace the top sash guides and push the balances back in place.

I can't tell what top sash guides you have, but I would look at our 18-166 to start. You'll have to remove one from the window in order to identify it. As for pushing the balance back down, it will take some elbow grease but it's not that hard. Have someone pull and hold the balance down while you pop the take-out clip, then gently raise the balance under it. Watch the video below for more information on how this kind of balance typically installs.
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)