SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

405 Window Coil Balance

A home owner from downingtown, PA says:
I watched video demonstration and removed broken coil(s).
They are both marked 405.
one is very long and the other is short.
note: top window does not move.
Can you help/guide me?
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:
Thanks for contacting us. Do you know what Series coil you have? Are you sure one is longer than the other, or could it just be more stretched out? Finally, if you don't know the Series, please take a few pictures of the spring and the pivot shoe it attaches to. Thanks!
A home owner from DOWNINGTOWN PA says:
I THINK YOU ARE CORRECT, THAT IT IS TWO COILS, BOTH
THE SAME SIZE. ON THE PIVOT SHOE I FOUND THIS
NUMBER A1-87598. HOPEFULLY THAT IS THE PART NUMBER I NEED. IS IT? HOW SHOULD I GO ABOUT ORDERING? THANK YOU.
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
Based on that number, I think you could have our 15-155 pivot shoe. For the coil springs, see our Series 170 and Series 171 coils. All orders can be placed directly from our site.
A home owner from DOWNINGTOWN PA says:
I ordered and received the following parts.
1 Certain Teed Pivot Shoe, Old Style #15-155
1 405 Series 170 Coiled Balance Spring #S170-405
1 405 Series 171 Coiled Balance Spring, Long
#S171-405
Now I don't know what to do. How do the springs attach to the shoe?
I must be missing something.
Please advise. Thank you.
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:
Hello! Those springs just screw on to the shoes. See the video below for some additional help. While the type of balance used is different, the principle is more or less the same.
A quick learner from DOWNINGTOWN PA says:
Just to let you know it worked. It wasn't as easy as you make it look, but I got it fixed. I should not have ordered the Pivot Shoe as the old one was just fine and I used it. I just needed the coil
springs. Anyway, thanks for all your help.
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)