SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

Thorn window crank with hook in the arm

A landlord from Sacramento, CAlifornia says:
Hi!
I have an old window crank I need to replace. I need: (1) right hand and (1) left hand.

The arm measures 10.5-11" as you show to measure it in your diagram for the 39-003 product. The screws appear to match the 39-003 product.

Do you have anything like this? Note, the end of the arm is different than most of your cranks. It has a lip rather than a flat disc. I've attached 5 pictures.

If you don't have this product do you think I could use the 39-003? Would the fact that the 39-003 has a shorter arm matter? Would it just mean that the window would not open all the way?

Please help! Thanks! -Theresa Brocchini
User submitted photos of a window crank.
Profile picture of Dave
Dave from SWISCO responded:
Thanks for posting. I believe that this is a very old Thorn operator. I do think that the 39-003 & 39-004 Thorn Window Cranks are a good place to start, but you would need a new track. Please see our 39-504, Channel Guide.
A handy person from Phoenix, AZ says:
Looking for a crank assembly for casement windows. The one I'm looking for has a 10 inch shaft, countersunk screws that attach from the outside of the frame, and the end of the shaft has ears on it instead of a roller. See the 2 pictures attached. I need 4 sets of both lefthand and righthand cranks. Please email or call, and thank you. Charles Jones, Phoenix, AZ
User submitted photos of a window crank.
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:
Good morning! Thank you for contacting us. I have placed you into an existing thread concerning this very same operator. As Dave suggested above, we do not have an exact replacement for this operator. However, we think that you should consider our 39-003 & 39-004, Thorn Window Cranks, in addition to the 39-504, channel guide, as possible substitutes. Take a look at this hardware and let us know what you think.
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)