SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

window removal issue

A home owner from California says:
Sent for and received new 67-023 gliders for horizontal sliding aluminum windows (center fixed with sliding ones either side); worked great except for one window. Lifted it into the top track to pull the bottom inward to remove and realized the window had dropped down below the rail it is supposed to slide on and seems firmly stuck--slides ok side to side, but can't be lifted, which leaves the window falling below were it should at the top, which is why I wanted to replace the bottom gliders in the first place. Have lubed it, no help. Any suggestions before I try gently prying? Am very wary of bending the aluminum to the point of destruction. Thanks for any suggestions.
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
Sure, we're always happy to help. Here's what I suggest. Slide your sashes open and look at the top track and see if there is any screw-on stops there that may be preventing the sash from raising. Also look on the top ends of the sashes for any screw on top guides that might also be interfering. Being wide window, the sashes might have sagged from settling. You could remove the top interior trim and see if you can raise the top track to allow for more play.
A home owner from California says:
So many questions asked on internet that remain unsolved once the person finds a solution, so... as I stated, the actual problem wasn't anything at the top of the window that prevented the window from lifting out of the bottom. It had fallen lower than the rail it was supposed to glide on and was stuck below that rail. A neighbor was able to convince the window to pull up past that rail (more force than I seemed to be able to muster) and it did lift out, FINALLY. I was able to put the new glides on the bottom (old ons in there missing on one side, broken on the other) and it does slide now! It is the GLIDES that keep the window from sinking down to the bottom below the rail. I will be sending for more glides and other window items as I continue the many window repairs that are necessary. Thanks!
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)