SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

I need new window sash bars

A quick learner from San Diego says:
Hi
I have older metal frame windows. One of the sash bars on the side has come loose from the window and the window is now sloppy in the frame. I took both sash bars out but I can't tell from your pictures what I should order. There is a white part that came off something but I don't know where. The bar has no names or numbers on it. I've attached two picture of each end. One from the top and one from the side. Just the metal bar is 29" long and 5/8" wide. Can you help me? Thanks, Ellen
User submitted photos of a window balance.
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:
Hey, thanks for posting. I've narrowed this down to two possible channel balance Series: either our Series 351 or our Series 390 balances.

Now, as you can see, there is only one difference between these two Series, and that is their bottom shoe. The Series 351 uses the 15-002 while the Series 390 uses the 15-001. I can't quite tell what you have based on your pictures, though, as yours is broken. Is the other balance in that same window broken, as well? If not, please carefully compare their dimensions to your own hardware and see which is a better match.
15-001 and 15-002
Thank you. I will compare your pictures to the side that is not broken and see if I can tell. If not I'll take better pictures of the one that is not broken. sorry for the late reply - I am now a great-grandmother ;-}
Profile picture of Tom
Congratulations! No rush on this. If you have any questions as you compare your hardware, please let me know, I'd be happy to help. We are here at your convenience!
Hi
I see now that both sides have the same end part broken so I can't take an accurate measurement.
In looking at the measurements you posted I see they are same dimensions except one is 1/8" longer than the other. Would 1/8" in length make that much difference? What if I order two of the ones I think it is? What is your return policy?
Thanks
Ellen
User submitted a photo of a window balance.
Profile picture of Tom
Hey, Ellen. That 1/8" difference does matter, though if you have the wrong one you could be able to work around it. I guess if you really have no way of knowing, you might want to opt for the larger one, since you could grind it down to size if you have to. It's more of a pain, but it's a safer bet.

If you think you know what it is though, then you could always go that route. You can see our Return Policy by visiting this link.
A quick learner from San diego says:
Hi
I think you are talking about just replacing the broken plastic part? I was thinking I'd replace the entire bar. I know it's overkill and I could probably figure out how to do it but I don't have the time to work on it right now. So, that said, if I replace both metal rods does that 1/8th inch difference still matter?
Thanks for your patience
Ellen
Profile picture of Tom
Oh, I know you want to replace the whole balance. The 1/8" difference between the two shoes still matters regardless, which is why I ask. Now, if you really have no way of knowing what size shoe you have, there is one thing you can try. You can just order our Series 390 channel balance, which comes with the larger shoe, 15-001. If it works, great. If not, you can always grind the shoe down until it has a 1" depth to match the 15-002.
Hi
Thanks for your patience. I think that's what I'll do - order 2 of those. When I get this one window fixed I'll know what size I need for the others.
I apprectiate your help.
Ellen
Wait a minute. I'm not thinking with a clear head. Other windows? I can check to see if there is an intact balance on one of the other windows and see if I can get a better idea of what I need. Duhhhh.
Profile picture of Tom
Haha that's a great idea! Let me know what you come up with.
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)