window spiral balances

A quick learner from Melissa, TX says:
Can I determine if my balances need to be replaced or can they be loosened? They are single hung tilt windows. If they need to be replaced, I will do it myself. The tubes are 3/8 x 35. I'm attaching pictures. If you need an additional view, please let me know. Thank you for any help you can give me.
User submitted photos of a window balance.
Also, all our windows are hard to open. The windows are 16 years old. Only one at this point, feels like the window does not want to stay open when raised. However, it doesn't come crashing down.
The sash is 25.4 lbs. It was an absolute pain to get out, too, because the spiral balancers don't want to move. I have over 30 windows in my house a number of different sizes. This is going to be a chore.
Profile picture of Dave Sr.
Dave Sr. from SWISCO responded:
There are a few things you can do. The best way to determine if a spiral balance needs to be replaced or just charged is to simply try to charge it and see if that works. Your windows appear to be tilt, so I'd recommend our 75-006. Check out the guide below to see how they can be charged. In regards to the windows being hard to open, try using a silicone spray to lubricate the tracks.

If neither method works, then it's probably time for new balances. Get back to us with your results and we can work from there!
How to replace a tilt window spiral balance.
How to replace a tilt window spiral balance.
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to adjust a spiral balance on a tilt window
How to adjust a spiral balance on a tilt window
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.