SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

wood sash window weatherstripping

A home owner from Chicago, IL says:
Hello,
I'm working on old wood sash windows and would like to improve their efficiency.

I noted your "crack and peel" weatherstripping (58-026) and I am wondering about its effective compressibility, as most of the gaps I am encountering are 1/8 inch or less.

I am also wondering about the ability of your smaller gauge pile (58-128) to adhere to a double-face adhesive tape (or other adhesive)?

Alternatively, perhaps you may be able to suggest an different product for this application? I'd be grateful for your insight.

Sincerely,
Dan
Profile picture of Dave
Dave from SWISCO responded:
Thanks for posting, Dan! Before we can recommend any weatherstripping, I first need to know what type wood windows we are talking about. Are they double hung, which slide up and down, or casement, which crank outward?
A handy person from Chicago, IL says:
sorry--conventional double-hung wood sashes.
Profile picture of Dave
Dave from SWISCO responded:
Thank you for your patience in this matter. For this type of operation, I would suggest our 58-026 Wool Pile with Stick-on base. However, we are uncertain what the life expectancy of the stick-on when used with painted wood windows.

If you're interested, we can try to research an alternative weatherstripping with a kerf, but you would have to route a slot into your window.
A handy person from Chicago, IL says:
Thanks for your time and assistance!
Best,
Dan
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)