SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

Weight and pulley balance system repair

A landlord from wisconsin says:
i have some old windows with the weight and pulley system. what is the best and most cost effective repair for these units?
Profile picture of Paul Sr.
Paul Sr. from SWISCO responded:
If you still have the weights and the pulleys are good, then all you need to buy are new chains. You can purchase them at your local hardware store. This is the most cost effective repair. To figure out how much chain you need for each sash top or bottom, measure the height and multiply it by four. For directions, see your hardware dealer on removal and installation.
paul, i dont have weights and i am looking for a new balance system. is the spiral system the one i want? are they the most cost effectiveproduct that you offer? how do i size them correctly. please advise so i can get the correct product ordered and meet my repair deadline.
Profile picture of Donna
Donna from SWISCO responded:
SWISCO does not carry a conversion kit to replace a weight and pulley system. You are going to need to try to find a local contractor that is familiar with wood windows, you may be able to get a referral from a local mill that makes wood windows.
what i am wondering is can i use your spiral system in stead of the weights and pulleys? i am handy enough to make most anything work. is it feaseable to install spirals in this situation and if so how do i size and choose the right product based on weight and length.
Profile picture of Paul Sr.
Paul Sr. from SWISCO responded:
The hardest part is going to be creating the track for the spiral balance. You will need to route a channel on each side of your window to fit the spiral balance. If you are able to complete that step the rest is not too bad.

To figure out what size balance you need, take the glass height and add 1" for the top sash balance and 3" for the bottom sash balance. For example, if your glass height was 16" you would need a pair of spiral balances that are 17" long for the top sash and a pair that are 19" for the bottom sash.

Use a series 500 spiral balance with a red tip if you have a single glass window and a series 500 spiral balance with a blue tip if you have insulated glass.

Take a look at the 17-007 sash bracket and the 75-004 balance charging tool. See 75-005 for a more heavy duty version of the non-tilt window balance charging tool if you are interested.

While SWISCO is happy to make recommendations, SWISCO will not waive restocking fees if the recommended product does not work in your application.
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)