wood windows that have stickers with jw wood components.

A home owner from missouri says:
i have several wood windows that don't stay up. im not sure how to take them apart to know what i need to replace to fix them.
User submitted photos of window hardware.
I have now realized that it is the knife shoe that is broken and have looked at the video on how ot install new channel balances. . I still dont know which channel balance I need. the whole measirement of the channel is 37 inches.. also in the video it shows to remove a screw to get the channels out that the balances go in for both of the sashes for a double hung window.

I cant remove the channels that the channel balances go in because of the way the windows were installed. how will I remove and replace the balances

Im sorry that this message is in bits and pieces but I have been studing your website and learning bit by bit. Thank you for so much valuble information.

Marcia
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
Thanks for contacting us! I believe you have our Series 751 channel balance with either a 19-029 short or 19-030 long S-Clip at top. The spring weight would be 36HD. We can custom make this for you, but please first confirm which S-Clip is the best replacement.

To replace the balances, please watch the video below, where we provide step-by-step instructions for this specific type of balance.
Thank you for your reply, I will check the size of the clips. I have looked at the installation video several times but my channels cannot be removed the way the windows have been installed. Can you tell me how to replace th without removing the channels.
Thank you,
Marcia
Profile picture of Paul
I'm afraid there's no way to remove these balances without removing the jambs. Where are you running into problems? How does your window differ from the one in the video above, exactly? Maybe we can come up with a solution.
If you look at the 2nd picture of the jamb and trim. The wall trim edge you see is the far left then there is another piece of wood that is part of window would have to be pryed off. Maybe that is the only way.
Here are 2 more pictures of the center where the 2 sashes meet and the top corner. I think i will have to diasemble the window to get the jambs out including the top middle piece that the top sash seals against. please advise . the sashes are the lower sash on all the windows. it looks like the bigger S hooks.
thanks for your help.
Profile picture of Paul
Okay, I think I see what you mean. Don't remove the trim. Instead, tilt the bottom in and twist the sash to disconnect the tilt bar from the balance shoe. Do the same for top sash. Now you can remove the jamb liners. They shouldn't be nailed in, but are rather held in with the pressure from the sashes. You can reuse the your old S clips on the new balances.
How to replace a tilt window spiral balance.
How to replace a tilt window spiral balance.
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to install a ribbed tilt channel balance with knife lock shoe
How to install a ribbed tilt channel balance with knife lock shoe
VIDEO
WATCH >
Classifying Channel Balance Fittings
Classifying Channel Balance Fittings
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.