wooden window sill

A handy person from Los Angeles says:
Any suggestions or helpful info on sizing/making the receiving holes in the wooden door frame? The screen I'm making is for the top half of a split door that was not originally built to host a screen. I'm imagining using the spring loaded plunger pins on all sides of the aluminum screen frame to fix the screen in place into the door frame. Of course, I will have to remove the screen to travel through the door or to close the top half of the door, but it's a low traffic door. I'm wondering if there's a trick to creating the small receiving holes in the door frame into which the pins spring into. Simple small hole or are there some sort of metal grommet that is recommended, etc. If you need a pic, let me know and I can take one. Thank you.
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
Sure, I think we can help. You would use a regular drill bit to make the hole in the wood, depending on what pull pin you desire. You might do better with 70-195 screen pin 1/8" thick.
A quick learner says:
OK thank you.

Is that screen pin thinner or thicker than the normal screen pin? I'm going to use 7/16" screen frame, to give the screen some rigidity.

Since the wooden door frame (into which the screen will go) is exterior and somewhat exposed to rain, is there some sort of plastic/metal grommet or receptacle that can go into the drilled hole in the door frame? I'd prefer to finish the hole since 90% of the time the screen will not be in place.
Profile picture of Dave Sr.
Dave Sr. from SWISCO responded:
There is no grommet to accept the pins suggested. They would just go into a hole drilled into the door. I actually spoke to a manufacturer of wooden screen doors, and he prefers to use the 70-053 clip, 70-112 screw and the 62-022 grommet. Take a look and see if this would be a better choice.
How to install the 70-009 window screen frame plunger pin
How to install the 70-009 window screen frame plunger pin
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to install a threaded rivnut for a wood window frame
How to install a threaded rivnut for a wood window frame
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to install a screen window plunger pin
How to install a screen window plunger pin
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.