SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

wool pile insulation for 1972 Milgard sliding glass doors

A home owner from south Puget Sound area, Washington says:
Hello, yesterday I ordered some lengths of 58-045 to replace the worn out 40 yr. old wool pile insulation in several 43 year old sliding glass doors.

Having pulled out a strip, I measured and decided that the 9/32 x 1/4 was the best fit, even though the new strips have a plastic fin in the center that the old ones don't.

This morning I woke up and thought: what's the big rush? Send some photos and make sure you get the right stuff.

So here goes. I'm pretty confident about the 9/32" width of the strip that fits in the channels of the aluminum door frames. I'm wondering about the pile height.

The channel in which the doors close is 1 - 9/16" wide. The aluminum door frame is 1 - 1/16" thick. If my math is correct, that's 1/4" difference.

Does the pile need to be a little taller to fill the gaps snugly?

Photos attached.
User submitted photos of patio door hardware.
A home owner from south Puget Sound area, Washington says:
Sorry. I meant 1/2" difference between the door frame thickness and the opening.
I can do the math. But am I paying attention?
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
Thanks for posting. I think our 58-099 might give you a better seal. It is a much fuller wool pile.
A home owner says:
Thanks for your help. We will enjoy not living in such drafty rooms this winter.
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)