CAMDEN, NJ - (APRIL, 2013)
- Spring has sprung and the housing market across the country is heating up. SWISCO.com - the leading online source for replacement hardware - has put together their top tips on how to properly prepare one of the most important, and often overlooked, assets in your home: the windows and doors.
"When homeowners think about listing their property for sale, their biggest concerns are usually with aesthetics," said Dave Pallas, President of SWISCO. "But in today's environment, where many home buyers are turning to federal agencies to obtain financing, they quickly realize safety is a top priority in order to achieve loan approval."
For example, the Federal Housing Administration (FHA) requires that properties contain the most basic safety features, such as window locks and working keyed locks and deadlocks for exterior (outside-accessible) non-sliding doors.
Pallas added, "In addition to meeting federal safety regulations, property owners with all of their windows and doors in proper, functioning order are one step closer to passing a home inspection and achieving their desired sales price."
Rather than replacing your windows and doors, repairing them is oftentimes more economically sound, and in most cases, more convenient to accomplish. Here are some tips to help you inspect and repair some of the most common window and door issues:
- It's important all windows open and close properly, so be sure to check your sash support hardware and make any necessary repairs.
- For security, you will need keyless locks. If locks are broken, it's time to replace them.
- Make sure there are insect screens for all operable windows in geographic areas where they are needed and customarily provided. Screens should fit firmly into appropriate frames.
- Ensure all weatherstripping and glazing, which surrounds the window and prevents excessive water, moisture, wind, dust and sound is in good condition. If you see it's coming off or is cracked and damaged, it's time to replace it.
- Exterior entrance doors must be equipped with a lock that is keyed from the outside and is in good operating condition.
- Additional doorways that offer easy access to the premises, like garage doors, public hallways, terraces, balconies, etc., must be protected by a door. If it's not a sliding door, it should also be equipped with a deadlock.
- All closet doors should be in sound operating condition with all required hardware, making the doors convenient to open and close.
- Ensure all weatherstripping, which surrounds the door and prevents excessive water, moisture, wind, dust and sound is in good condition.
For more information about window repairs, including videos
and replacement parts
, visit www.swisco.com.
SWISCO.com is the leading online source for replacement hardware for windows, doors, closets, bathrooms, drawers and more. Headquartered in Camden, New Jersey, the family owned company began as a small mom-and-pop repair shop in the 1970's. Today, in its third generation, SWISCO.com continues to provide the same high-quality customer service online. The company helps clients across the globe complete home repair projects via its interactive website, which features an extensive product catalog with hard-to-find parts, discussion boards, instructional videos, expert tips and tools.