S377-19 is not available in half inch increments as a stock item

A handy person from Florida says:
My SWISCO.com Order included (2) S377-19

However the balances are 0.5 inches too long. Should I get the 18 inches ones and return the 19 inches back to you? will the 18 inches ones work with window properly. I figured the 18 inches ones will accommodate just fine and more likely work, but do not know if the window will open and close properly. I could use the 19 inch ones but will need to drill a hole on the window frame so that the anchor hook from the balance will engage.
What do you recommend.?

Thanks,

Mario
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
Hey, Mario. Sorry that you're having issues. If I understand your problem correctly, then the balance you bought is too long to engage the anchor hook. If that is correct, then I would go down to 18". I wouldn't drill new holes.
A quick learner from Florida says:
Hello -
I bought a S377-31 : 31" stamped 3040 at the end of the channel. While extending the spring the rivet snapped and plastic pulley cy the hook broke as well.
I am getting another one, but I am concerned if the new one will brake. The other side channel installed fine. If I lubricate the spring or any of the components in the new channel could help? I noticed this channel has a stronger spring than other channels I bought.
Is there a recommended technique or tool I could use to extend the spring?
Your recommendation is appreciated.

thanks,

Mario
User submitted photos of a window balance.
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
I agree, I think the option you chose, 3040, is too strong. What was the number printed on the original balance? Also, what is the weight of your sash? Two balances with a 3040 option can carry a sash weight of 23 through 28 pounds. You shouldn't have to extend the spring so far as to snap the rivet, it should only be a few inches to hook it under the take-out clip (16-002). There is no need to lubricate it.
How to Replace a Non-Tilt Channel Balance
How to Replace a Non-Tilt Channel Balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Repair a Jammed Window
How to Repair a Jammed Window
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Identify Replacement Channel Balances
How to Identify Replacement Channel Balances
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to replace a non-tilt channel balance
How to replace a non-tilt channel balance
GUIDE
READ >
Choosing a Non-tilt Channel Balance: What Will We Need?
Choosing a Non-tilt Channel Balance: What Will We Need?
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.