1-1/4" T-Lock Shoe w/ White Puck Closed Cam & Grooved Stem

A professional from Winnipeg, MB says:

Hello,

I just installed 6 balancers from the above order of 8 balancers today.

The channel balancers themselves fit properly, the top clips fit correctly into the holes of the window channels and the spring weights appear to be correct. The sashes open and close easily.

However, the pucks on the T-Lock shoes are different from the originals (see attached).

In all 6 installations, I had to apply a lot of torque with the screwdriver to lock the shoe in the channel i.e. turn the cam 90° into the upright vertical position. I think too much really. The original T-lock balance shoes lock in place with less torque.

On one of the windows in which I replaced the existing balancers I took the window back off. When I tried to put the window back on, the T-lock shoe on one side would no longer lock. I think that the torque required from the first installation damaged the puck.

This must have something to do with the width of the channels in the window frame and/or how much the puck protrudes from the shoe when the cam is in the vertical locked position

I don't have a lot of confidence in the plastic pucks either in terms of durability given the temperature extremes we experience in our area (-30 F or less in the winter and +90 F or more in the summer). The heating/cooling is exacerbated more by our daily temperature swings i.e. many windows receive the full impact of the sun all day long and cool off dramatically at night with ambient temperature drops.

I see only 2 possible solutions here:

Replace the T-lock balance shoes with ones that resemble the original (metal spring puck with the "clawed" ends).

Have a stock of extra T-Lock Balance Shoes on hand for when the pucks become damaged and will no longer lock in the window channel.

Can you get T-Lock balance shoes with the above spring metal clips? Do you have any other suggestions?

Best regards,Mark

Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 2020-11-18_Puck extended_T-lock shoes_Hampton Hous
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 2020-11-18_Puck retracted_T-lock shoes_Hampton Hou
Profile picture of Bob
Bob from SWISCO responded:

Hey Mark, sorry to hear you had some trouble installing these balances. Can you show me closer pictures of your original T-Lock Shoe, out of the balance? Side-by-side with the ones that came installed with your new balances (the 15-195) would be best. I just want to make sure these were indeed the shoes your balances needed, and since we never did get direct visual confirmation on the original custom order, it's best to confirm at this point. A few good pictures from a back, side, and front angle should help. Otherwise, it can take some torque with new shoes to install them properly; nor do I think is any other shoe going to stand up any better to the climate up there necessarily. Let's just make sure the 15-195 was indeed the right shoe, and then proceed from there. 

Hi Bob. The pics above appear to have been stored at a resolution much lower than that at which I uploaded them. The original email I sent on 08 Jul 2020 had 22 pics including some with the T-lock shoes and a precision caliper to show exact dimensions in terms of width and depth. These pics are much clearer. Are you seeing at your end what I'm seeing in terms of resolution? If not, s there some way I can get higher resolution pics to you?

As for the torqueing, I hear creaking and popping in the window channels as the shoe is locking in place so there is certainly some pressure being put on the channels. The existing t-lock shoes certainly don't do that. They have little forks at the ends that grip/sink into the channel. This is not ideal either because if they don't retract properly when the window is reset into the channel of the frame, they scrape along the channel as the window opens or closes probably damaging the channel too.
Profile picture of Bob

Hey Mark. I went back and found those photos from our customer service end, thanks for letting me know. Based on them, I do believe the 15-195 is the correct replacement shoe. I am going to see if one of my senior colleagues has any thoughts about why the shoes might be giving you this trouble, or if they'd ease in from use overtime. I'll get back to you as soon as I can with more insights. Many thanks for getting back to me. 

Here are some more closeup pics of the T-lock shoes in case you need them.

Here is what I surmise happened with the one window that I installed after replacing the balancers, removing the window and then attempting to reinstall but could not get the balancers to lock back in the channel:

As I mentioned on the support page, you could hear the creaking and cracking when I went to lock the balancer in the channel (Rotate so that the notch in the cam is vertical at 90°) so the puck was putting pressure on the walls of the channel and, conversely, the walls of the channel were putting pressure on the puck.

It is likely that this pressure was just too great during the initial installation and the puck was damaged which is why it wouldn't lock in place after the second attempt.Here are some possible considerations and suggestions:Unlike the original T-lock shoes that use metal claws at the ends to dig into the window channel and the shoe in place under the tension of the balancer, the white pucks on the Swisco T-lock shoes are made of plastic and appear to rely on a larger surface area to create the friction required to lock the shoe in place.

The white pucks that you provide may work well if their width is correct for the width of the window channel, but if the window channels are a little bit narrower, it may require too much force too turn the cam and this in turn damages the puck.

A possible solution would be to file down the ends of the puck slightly so that the shoe locks snugly into the window channel but not so much that it damages the window channel or the puck itself i.e. turning the cam offers some resistance but not too much and the creaking and cracking in the channel while unavoidable is minimal.

Bearing in mind that there may be a certain variance in the width of the channel in the window frame depending on the manufacturer, date of manufacture etc., the amount that would be needed to file down might vary from window to window.

It is possible that if the white puck on the T-lock shoe were made of metal instead of plastic, the pucks themselves would not be damaged so easily; however, if too much force was used to lock the cam i.e the pucks were too wide, it could also damage the window channel more because there would not be enough "give" in the puck.

It would be possible to file down the ends of the pucks if they were made of metal too.

I am aware that the original T-lock shoes with the metal claws are not ideal either. When they don't close properly, they scrape along the window channel and the sash does not move freely. Typically I have to tilt back the window, shake it around back and forth and close it back up. After a few tries, this typically retracts the puck and the sash moves freely i.e. no grinding sound.

I don't know what is possible or not possible to do in this situation. Perhaps a change in installation procedure, perhaps a change in ordering to include spare T-lock shoes and/or pucks that I can modify to suit our situation but I need to find a solution.

Thank you for your efforts in this regard.

Profile picture of Bob

Thanks for responding to me. I have some good news. We've found a similar T-Lock Shoe with a closed cam and metal spring; this shoe should match your old ones better, and possibly work better in your climate. My product director is bringing it in for you to view online and order. Please allow us about five to six weeks to get it in stock. We'll let you know the moment it is available. Thanks for bearing with us. 

Profile picture of Bob

Hello again Mark, thanks for your patience. I am happy to say that the new 15-236 T-Lock Shoes are now online! Go to their shop page to take a look, and let me know if you have any further questions. 

How to Install a T-Lock Shoe on a Channel Balance
How to Install a T-Lock Shoe on a Channel Balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Convert a Crossbow Balance to a Channel Balance
How to Convert a Crossbow Balance to a Channel Balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
Classifying Channel Balance Fittings
Classifying Channel Balance Fittings
GUIDE
READ >
Modifying the Series 795 Balance
Modifying the Series 795 Balance
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.