27 4 HN CALDWELL 28" channel block and tackle window balance

A quick learner from WA says:
Do you have this item in stock or a replacement. I cannot seem to find a replacement with wings. Thanks.
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_20200827_143244492.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_20200827_143341994.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_20200827_143417572.jpg

This one is stamped 93ED CALDWELL. Do you have this in stock or a replacement? I can't seem to find one with wings. Thank you.

Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_20200827_143403359.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_20200827_143423479.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_20200827_143417572.jpg
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

In both cases, you have either our Series 380 or Series 385. The only difference between them is the size of the bottom fitting, which is indicated on their respective store pages. You'll need to measure your bottom fitting to confirm which one is the better match. Please tell me what you come up with.

The first balance is a standard size, but your second balance is very small at 10". That will have to be a custom order. Can you just confirm what the stamp reads? 93ED is a weird one. Can you also tell me how many you need?

Hi Tom, thank you for your reply. I'm not clear on how to measure the depth of the shoe. All of the wings measure 1" wide across the bottom of the wing if that makes any difference.

The 10" balance is from a small kitchen window. The stamp appears to read 93ED although it could be 83ED.

I only need one of each. Thank you.
Profile picture of Tom

The diagram below should make it clear what you have to measure. We will definitely need to know the Series before we can proceed.

As for the stamp, a 10" balance with an 83ED stamp is even stranger. The 9 is the number that made sense, it was everything else that I wasn't sure about. I think our equivalent stamp would be 0930, so that might be what we need to go with. I just wasn't sure about the "ED."

I just need to know what Series you need and we can move forward with this.

swisco.com
The depth of the shoes are 1 3/32" so looks like S385.
Thanks again for your help.
Profile picture of Tom

Great, thanks! What I'll do now is email you an order link and price quote right now for two balances based on this configuration. I believe your old stamp is a match for our 930 stamp. Let me know if you had any questions.

Got the link. Thank you. Just want to confirm that the quote is for the 28" and 10" (not two 10".)

Also, I am aware that there are no refunds because the order is custom. In your experience, do most balances work even if slightly different than the original? I am concerned because from my research, these Caldwell models are no longer made and need to make sure they will work since I can't return them if they don't.

Thanks again for your help.
Profile picture of Tom

That link is for two 10" balances; you had requested earlier that you wanted one of each and I assumed you meant one for each side. I apologize for the confusion. That said, two is our minimum for custom orders. We can't provide just one, unfortunately. 

This will not include the 28" balances in any way. Those don't need to be purchased via a custom order, you can add them to your cart from our site whenever you wish.

Based on your photos, I see no reason why our Series 385 won't work. As long as your stamp starts with the numbers "93" and as long as it's 10" long, it should work perfectly well.

OK, one more question: a single 28" balance weighs 10.5 lbs and the stamp is 27 4 HN - should I go with the 2720 or 2740?

Thanks. You have been a great help.
Profile picture of Tom

You shouldn't be weighing your balance, you should be weighing your sash. That's the glass panel that the two balances support. If your old stamp is 27-4, then that typically means you want to use the 2740 option for sashes weighing  19 through 26 pounds.

If you typed in error and you did mean that your sash is 10.6 pounds, then whoever installed your balances chose a spring that's way too strong. You would want to go with a 2720 option in that case.

My mistake, I weighed the balance. Thank you. Have a great day.
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)