70-132 Question

A quick learner from Hemphill, TX says:

5 x 6' window screen frame is like a shoe box lid the screen frame is a drop in.

Screen frame is 5/8 " thick and 2"wide aluminum, very strong.

Here's the question. How many of the stretcher clips should be used on the frame for good retention.?

The windows have been removed and this is a screen only window opening and it can be windy at times.

I want to use your stretch clip 70-132 with the special imbedded "nut" with a thumb screw to hold the screen frame in the drop in.

Profile picture of Dave Sr.
Dave Sr. from SWISCO responded:

I'm not actually sure if the 70-132 clip will work on your 2" wide screen frame. The 70-132 clip is normally used with a 7/8" frames. 

You might want to use something like our 70-140 Z-clip or the 70-181 nylon turn clip instead. If your main frame is made of wood you could use the 62-022 along with the 70-112 thumb screw or the 33-080 machine screw.  Take note if you go with the 70-181 you would need to get a longer machine screw to go with the 62-022

As for how many clips per side, I would suggest at least 3 on the 5' side, maybe even 4. On the 6' side I would say at least 4-5 per side. What you could do is start at the 4" mark and install your first clip,  then install a clip every 16" after. There honestly is no real answer to this and it's just a matter of what you feel safe with, given the materials at hand.

How to install a threaded rivnut for a wood window frame
How to install a threaded rivnut for a wood window frame
VIDEO
WATCH >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 4-7 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.