Alcoa Window Parts

A home owner from Ann Arbor, MI says:
I'm looking for replacement parts for my Alcoa windows that were installed when the home was built new around 1996. The windows are white and the spiral balances have a white casing. I've attached a couple of pictures, but I'm not sure what series/model windows I have.
User submitted photo of their Alcoa window.
Profile picture of Casey
Casey from SWISCO responded:

Good Morning,

From your pictures it looks like you will need the Series 600 Spiral Balance. To make sure that the S600 is correct you need to measure the diameter of the white plastic tube. The diameter should be 9/16" (if it is not, let me know).

To choose the correct balance length you will need to measure the length of just the white plastic tube, up to and not including the bearing from which the inner spiral protrudes.

You will also need to know which balance tip color to choose. The color of the tip represents the strength of the balance. I cannot see the color of the tip in your pictures. The tip may be hidden in the white plastic covering (it usually sits right a the top). See this related discussion - the user took apart their plastic Alcoa balance and took a picture of the colored tip (the plastic blue part). If there is no color, or you are uncertain, provide us with the exact weight of the window sash that these spiral balances support instead. That exact weight can be used to determine the proper color to go with.

Let me know if have any trouble with any of this.

A home owner from Ann Arbor, MI says:
Thanks! They have blue tips and I need a few 29" and some 23". I also plan to order the spiral balance charging tool for tilt windows. Is there anything else I need to complete the repair?

Also, do these come with white casings like the originals?

Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:

You will want to pick up a 75-006 Spiral Balance Charging Tool if you don't have one already.

As for the white plastic tubes, they are no longer manufactured. Spiral balances are now manufactured and distributed with a more durable metal casing. Let us know if you have any additional questions.

How to replace a tilt window spiral balance.
How to replace a tilt window spiral balance.
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Replace a Window Tilt Latch
How to Replace a Window Tilt Latch
VIDEO
WATCH >
Anatomy of a tilt window
Anatomy of a tilt window
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Replace Damaged Pivot bars
How to Replace Damaged Pivot bars
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Identify a Replacement Spiral Balance
How to Identify a Replacement Spiral Balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Remove a Pivot Shoe (Cutout Method)
How to Remove a Pivot Shoe (Cutout Method)
VIDEO
WATCH >
Swisco's 15-046 Pivot Lock Shoe
Swisco's 15-046 Pivot Lock Shoe
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to remove window pivot shoes
How to remove window pivot shoes
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to adjust a spiral balance on a tilt window
How to adjust a spiral balance on a tilt window
GUIDE
READ >
Styles of Tilt Window Latches
Styles of Tilt Window Latches
GUIDE
READ >
How to choose the proper spiral balance tip color
How to choose the proper spiral balance tip color
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.