American Craftsman Rod Balances

A handy person from Wakefield, Rhode Island says:

Good morning,

I have several failing American Craftsman vinyl double hung windows from Home Depot that were installed in 1999 when my home was built. I believe they are a rod type balance as you explained in a post from 1/21/20 from a customer in Decatur, AL. 

My bottom sashes measure as follows: 23Wx28H, 27Wx21H and 31Wx28H. 

I took apart the 23Wx28H sash and found the spring to be 9" long and the rod 23" long. There is a plastic piece that the cord rides on: Patent# 5.737.877. The plastic balance shoe appears to be 1&1/4-1&1/2" wide. The vinyl channel opening is 5/8" for the lower sash and 3/4" for the upper sash. I have 16 windows total and 4 that have failed. 

I believe I could use your Series 775 channel balance as a replacement. Could you advise me which replacement channels I need to purchase for each size window and what measurements you'll need for each size window? 

Also, can I get away with replacing only the lower sashes as we never open the uppers? 

Finally, do I need to replace the pivot bars in the bottom of the sashes?

Thanks for any information you can send my way. Your website is outstanding!

Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_4280.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_4282.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_4286.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_4288.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_4290.jpg
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

I agree, our Series 775 should work perfectly fine for your old balances. I'm not sure about length, though. You really can only determine that by measuring an undamaged balance. You want to measure from the top cap to the bottom cap.

If your upper sash balances are in good condition, you can continue to reuse them. Your current pivot bars should also be perfectly compatible with the new style balance.

A handy person from Wakefield, Rhode Island says:
Hi Tom,
Thanks for the follow up. Could you explain where on this shoe the sash pivot bar fits in to? Sometimes the shoe gets twisted in the channel and I'm not sure where to align the pivot bar. Would another shoe work better?
Thanks again!
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_4286.jpg
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

Sure, the pivot bar kind of nestles into that hollow you see in the shoe. If you have any doubts that the shoe is oriented properly, then I recommend uninstalling the balance and then installing it again, ensuring that it is facing the right way. We have an old guide on our site that may help you to this end. This method of replacement is applicable for both the Series 775 and your old rod balance.

Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.