Assistance with identifying a broken part

A quick learner from USA says:
I noticed the broken part (it seems like a cover for the spiral?) in our ALCOA window (see the attached picture). Would you please help me identify the broken part? Do you know where I can find a replacement (I searched the company's website but did not find any similar item)? And also would you please let me know how to measure the size for the replacement and how to install the replacement?
Thank you so much for you help in advance
User submitted a photo of a window balance.
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:
Sure, we should be able to help. That tube is actually part of the spiral balance unit, and cannot be replaced individually. I'm afraid you'll need an all new balance.

First, is this a tilt window? I believe it is, but you can never be sure. We have two possible replacements for tilt windows like this: our Series 900 which has an outer tube diameter of 3/8", and the Series 600 which has an outer tube diameter of 5/8". You'll need to measure your own outer tube diameter to determine the best match. I know it will be difficult, since yours is damaged, but that's the only way. The good news is, our tubes are metal so they won't crack like this.

See the video below for more information I think you'll find helpful.
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)