Atrium window balance replacement

A home owner from San Diego says:
I have 2 Atrium windows with broken ropes in the window balance, so now the window will not stay up. I have 2 different numbers, as they are different size windows, yet only included pictures of one, since other than the numbers the balances are the same (shoes etc.) The numbers are
24-2 FA5 CMC and 86 29-3 EA5 CMC 1.

From reading other posts it seems Atrium does not sell replacement parts, but you do. Can you please let me know if this is enough information for you to figure out which parts I need to replace these? Would you recommend replacing the channels on both sides or only the broken one?

Thank you.
User submitted photo of their window balance.
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
Thanks for posting. I recommend looking at our S395-25 channel balance with a 2420 option for your own hardware marked "24-2," and our S395-30 channel balance with a 2930 option for your own hardware marked "29-3." Let me know what you think of these suggestions.
That seems like a match. Thank you so much for your help. There's so many options and I want to make sure I buy the correct one.

I will probably replace the balances on both sides, even though only one is broken for now.
Just one more concern: the shoe on my balance seems to have a sharper curve than the shoe included with your recommended balance. I took a few more pictures for you to see. Would your recommended shoe still work or should I look into the 15-050 for example?
Thanks!
User submitted photo of their window balance.
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:
No, the 15-050 would not work for you. I am confident that the 15-001 that comes with our Series 395 channel balance can work. That sharper angle really won't affect anything, since these nylon attachments serve very simple functions (just keeping the balance firmly in place inside the track). You can get away with a slight difference as long as the general shape and dimensions are the same, which appears to be the case.
Thanks so much! That's exactly what I needed to know.
So I finally got around to installing the window balances I ordered last month. The larger window is working like a charm. So glad you were able to help and tell me what I need. I know where to go if any of my other windows start having problems.

However, the smaller window is working as well, but the shoes are sticking out on both sides and the window is wobbly when moving it up or down. From looking at my other windows, it seems the shoes should be stuck a little on the inside of the window, so I wonder if the balance was too big or if there's another issue we did not notice? All other parts of the balance seem to be in place and we followed your online instructions and did the same thing as with the other window that now works perfectly. Can you please advise how we can figure out why this is happening? I have another window where one shoe is visible and the other is not and that window does not stay open all the way. I thought it was just about to break down, but maybe something else is going on and it does not stick to where it should?

Thanks!
User submitted photos of a window balance.
Profile picture of Paul
Hmm... that is weird. This is the S395-25 balance, correct? Could you confirm the exact length of the metal channel for the original? A stamp of "24-2" almost always goes on a 25" long metal channel, but there is a possibility that yours is a different size. Start with that and let me know.
Well.. unfortunately the originals have already disappeared into the landfill, so all I have now is the sizes and pictures I posted before. But since the other window I fixed worked like a charm and I have the same problem with another window (the shoe is sticking out only on one side) I thought there might be something else to it, almost as if it did not click into the area it is supposed to be secured? No chance of something like that? I can't find anything when I try to google it. Thanks!
Profile picture of Paul
I don't think that would be the issue, no. At least, I've never come across something like that. These balances install in a pretty straight forward way. If something like this is happening then the balance is likely not the correct size in some aspect.
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)