2919 and 3428 Replacement Balance Rods

A home owner from Cape Coral, FL says:

Hello. We are trying to find balance rod replacements for several of our windows.

The one in the photo is stamped with 2919, we need about 20 of these including the plastic sash cams.

Do you have parts available?

Some of the others we need are stamped with 3428. I believe we need 10 of these along with cams.

I think we have one other size we need as well but I left the list at home.

Thanks.

User submitted photos of a window balance.
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:

Your stamps are very peculiar. I've never seen channel balance stamped use those designations. Can you show me a picture of the 2919 and 3428 stamps? Can you also confirm the weight of the sash in each case? 

As for the balance itself, I'd like to know the depth of the bottom shoe, shown in your second photo. Another way to think of the depth is the "heel to toe" measurement. Thank you!

A quick learner from Cape Coral, FL says:

Hello. Here are the additional photos you requested. I only have the 2919 rod that is accessible. The rest of them are still in the windows. The windows were removed to get the numbers however.

The windows were ESP installed around 2006ish. The locks and the emblem on the glass both say ESP. The emblems on the glass are really hard to make out, most information is not readable. They are impact glass windows using the glazing technology between to panes of the glass to get the rating at the time.

2919 need 16 with caps.

I also confirmed the other numbers:

3428 DSL. Need 8 with caps.

and 3415 need (4) with caps.

User submitted photos of a window balance.
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:

Thank you! Knowing the depth of that bottom shoe is very helpful. I'm afraid I still need the weight of each sash, though. The stamps printed on a balance indicate the strength calibration of the spring; in other words, it indicates how much weight they can support. However I've never seen your stamps before and I have no idea if one of our more standard stamps can work. In order to confirm, I will need to know the exact weight of the sash supported by each different balance you have. 

In the meantime, see our Series 395 channel balance. I'm confident this is the balance you have. We have a chart on each Series 395 store page that shows you how much weight each standard option supports. It's entirely likely our stamp options can work for you, but you need to weigh your sash to confirm.

A quick learner from Cape Coral FL says:
What about the other 2 sizes of balance rods I asked about?

3428 DSL. Need 8 with caps.

3415 need (4) with caps.

Are you saying the Series 395 would work for all (3) of them?

The (16) 2919 are all for smaller windows. With a sash of about 37" x 30". Fairly light I can handle them myself.

The (8) 3428 are pretty big windows, heavy took 2 to get them out. Approximately 54" x 36".

The 3715 are smaller windows too, I can handle myself. Approximately 27" x 36".

As for weights, obviously ordering a balance rod rated for less weight then the sash is a problem. Is it a big deal to order a balance rod rated for more weight then the sash?
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

I don't know if the Series 395 can work for all of them. I'm only going off of the photos you've shown us. A balance's Series is determined by the nylon attachments on each end of the metal channel. The Series 395 comes with the 19-005 top and 15-001 bottom. If these are the same on all of your balances, then yes, the Series 395 will work for all of them. 

As for the stamps, knowing your window sizes will not be enough. We need to know the exact weight of each sash. You definitely don't want a spring strength that's stronger than the sash weight, either. If a spring is too strong, then the window will drift up after you close it. 

How to Replace a Non-Tilt Channel Balance
How to Replace a Non-Tilt Channel Balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Repair a Jammed Window
How to Repair a Jammed Window
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Identify Replacement Channel Balances
How to Identify Replacement Channel Balances
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to replace a non-tilt channel balance
How to replace a non-tilt channel balance
GUIDE
READ >
Choosing a Non-tilt Channel Balance: What Will We Need?
Choosing a Non-tilt Channel Balance: What Will We Need?
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.