Heavy Sash Balance question

A contractor from Oregon says:
It looks like I need 351 series balances and would just like confirmation of the series and load specifications . I weighed the windows and they are 34lbs, so do I go with the 1740 14-17lb range or 1750 17-20lbs range ?
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 17E
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named AE9B8BA9-3D0E-4FA9-8D1C-0FE1D72391BC.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named DABFA51E-A01D-4B50-B549-4C6FBBCAC182.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named DFE13A73-4973-445D-84CD-6439125C7A3C.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 64E2114A-6888-46E9-85AF-E8FBF61EB3C6.jpeg
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

Hello! We can help with this balance, but the weight you gave me is extremely heavy for a balance of this size. Your old stamp, 17E, corresponds to our 1750 option, which is way too weak to hold up your sash. Did you ever find your old balances didn't do their job properly? Was the window always hard to open, or did it even drift close by itself?

We can supply a balance in this size for a 34 pound sash but I'd like you to triple check that detail. Such a strength would have to be a special order. If we do cross that bridge, we'll also need to know how many you need so we can set the quantity.

Profile picture of Tom

If these windows have always had trouble opening then that's definitely the explanation. Whoever installed these balances to begin with put in models that were far too weak to support the sashes. To clarify, the 17 through 20 pound rating of the 1750 stamp is not split in half. It's rated assuming both balances are carrying that load.

This sounds pretty cut and dry then. Please give us a little time to confirm the availability of these extra strong springs and I'll get back to you ASAP. The strength you need will have to be a special order but I think we can go forward with it. Just keep in mind that special order balances cannot be returned for a refund. You may want to check to be sure that you do have the Series 351 (19-002 top and 15-002 bottom).

The client said that these windows have always had trouble with staying open. So the 17-20lbs rating on the 1750 is for the total weight of the sash, not per side ?

I would need them for 18 windows, so 36 in total. The window are not that old, aluminum double pane that are wide but not that tall, so I guess that's why the balances are under sprung. Any help to avoid replacing a whole back of windows would be great. The windows are 48" wide x 20" tall.

Custom Manufacturing would still come out cheaper than full replacement. I added a pic of the units , only the lower one are operable.

Thank !

Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 2C300B79-0FF7-4013-AD2C-DF87E6BAED68.jpeg
The top is 19-002 NOT 19-001 as you listed, all the measurements look good for 351 series
Profile picture of Tom

Oh oops, I'm sorry! That was a typo on my part. You're right, it's a 19-002. I'll email you an order link and price quote right now for 36 special balances with a 17DS34 stamp. These springs will be specifically calibrated for a sash that weighs 34 pounds, assuming both balances are sharing the load.

Please let me know if you had any questions!

How to Replace a Non-Tilt Channel Balance
How to Replace a Non-Tilt Channel Balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Repair a Jammed Window
How to Repair a Jammed Window
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Identify Replacement Channel Balances
How to Identify Replacement Channel Balances
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to replace a non-tilt channel balance
How to replace a non-tilt channel balance
GUIDE
READ >
Choosing a Non-tilt Channel Balance: What Will We Need?
Choosing a Non-tilt Channel Balance: What Will We Need?
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.