Balance questions

A home owner from Hawaii says:
Hello,

I just tried to call the number listed on your website and got a recording that said it was not in service. I had some questions about ordering some spiral balance springs for wooden non-tilt windows.

The ones I am replacing have a red tip, but I am unsure if I need the 200 series or the 500. It looks from your description that the 200 are specifically for Portalume windows and the 500 are for wooden windows, but I wanted to confirm before ordering that I should be ordering the 500 series.

Do I need to order the feet separately?

Also, I live in Hawaii and wanted to discuss what my options are for shipping. In my experience, USPS is by far the most reasonable for us. I have a P.O. Box, but can get packages delivered to a neighbor if need be.

Do you have an instruction sheet or video that shows how to charge the spiral balance springs? Thanks for your reply. I do not have a cell phone and, unfortunately, my digital camera just died. Is it possible to answer my questions without a picture?

Thank you for your assistance.

Kathy
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:
Thanks for posting, Kathy. I will try my best to answer your questions.

The Series 200 and Series 500 differ in that the Series 200 comes with that black shoe pre-attached, while the Series 500 comes without any shoes at all. Typically, the Series 500 attaches to a metal bracket or clip at the bottom of the sash. If the shoe attached to the end of your balance is identical to the one on the Series 200 (also sold separately as our 15-010, if you want to use that as a reference), then that's probably the way to go.

We have many shipping methods, though the size of your package will determine whether you can use our USPS services or not. See our Shipping Policy for more information.

See our guide below for help on charging spiral balances for non-tilt windows. Keep in mind that we only recommend 2-3 turns at maximum. If you have to go any further, you risk damaging the balance.
A home owner from Hawaii says:
Thanks, Tom.
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.