Balance replacement

A home owner from ATLANTA, GA says:
THESE PARTS HAVE FALLEN OUT OF THE RIGHT SIDE OF MY WINDOW.

MI WINDOWS SUGGESTED I CONTACT YOU.

I DONT KNOW IF THIS WINDOW CAN BE FIXED - IF IT NEEDS NEW PARTS OR WHAT?
IM TOLD I NEED
"BALANCES FOR A 175 SERIES SINGLE HUNG WINDOW."

DO YOU CARRY SUCH? DO I NEED TO REPLACE OR CAN I FIX THIS?

FEEL FREE TO CALL, IF ITS EASIER & I CAN PROVIDE MORE PHOTOS, IF NECESSARY.
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named tempImage0UjaTF.gif
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 7A2EF1FC-4468-466A-A7D6-D04167DAA8C2_1_201_a.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 84B22C05-C18E-4690-A6E2-B543F7230D59_1_201_a.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named E61D22B6-D0DE-4069-BE31-307F33F09E74_1_201_a.jpeg
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

Hello! I agree, it looks like you need new balances. We carry an absolute ton of different designs, so there's a good chance that we have what you need, but I cannot identify a match from these photos. Your balance you're showing me here is just too damaged.

In order to assist you, I will need you to remove an undamaged version from the window and show me a few more photos. I need a clear pic of the top end, bottom end, stamp, and whatever clip or shoe is at the end of the cord.

I'm confident that we have these for you, but those photos will allow me to confirm. Thank you!

Thank you. I'll be getting these for you ?
But IS there a video or instructions you can send me on how to get an undamaged one OUT of the frame?
I don't even know how these are supposed to operate, nor how this happened. :/
Profile picture of Tom

Well, that's a bit of a Catch 22. The method of removal differs from balance to balance and right now I don't know what style you have, so I'm not sure of what removal method will work for you.

Can we at least get a photo of the undamaged balance while it's still installed? That might be enough. As long as we can see how it installs at the top, the stamp, and the clip/shoe at the bottom of the cord. Some important details will probably be obscured but I'll see what I can do regardless.

I HOPE these photos are helpful??

Again, it's the right side of the widow that's fallen apart. The left side remains intact.

I think you've seen the other photos already ? but your system here will only let me upload a few.

I can send more photos to a different destination? if you tell me. Otherwise, let me know if/what other photos would be helpful. :) Heather 

Thumbnail of the uploaded file named B72C8E2A-EA65-4E6C-AB7E-5C5D4274C6EA.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 8A08CF6F-46CD-452A-953A-38846514571E.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named FD1016EF-D554-4401-A978-B5854E734E61.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 6AA99DAB-A5FA-424A-A3AF-EAA0A783B413.jpeg
Profile picture of Tom

Thanks! This is very helpful. Looks like a tilt window channel balance, specifically with a ribbed channel. That narrows down the list of potential replacements by a lot. However, these are a little older than a lot of balances you see used these days. There are some older models that aren't made anymore. We'll need just a bit more information to confirm.

The good news is that these look like they might be pretty simple to remove. Your first step is going to be to remove the sash: raise it up a few inches, tilt it in towards you as if you were cleaning it, then lift the two bottom corners out. It's important to raise the sash up a few inches before you do this, otherwise you might break the shoe.

Once the sash is out, examine the shoe in question. This is usually a plastic block that the two bottom corners of the sash connect to. I think it's going to look something like our 15-014, which is what we call a "knife lock shoe," named for the knife-shaped locking mechanism.

If that's the type you have, then you need to retract it back into the main body of the balance before it can be removed. Take a screwdriver and use it to depress the knife. You want to press down on it and keep a firm grip; understand that this shoe is going to be under a lot of pressure from the balance spring. The second you depress the knife, there won't be anything holding it in place except you. Hold onto that screwdriver or else the shoe will shoot right up the track and probably break when it hits the balance.

While keeping that grip, allow the shoe to slowly retract back up to the balance. Once it's all the way retracted, it's a simple matter of just unhooking or unscrewing the channel at the top of the track to remove it.

If you shoe is anything other than the knife-lock style, show me a photo of it before you do anything and I'll advise accordingly.

The video below may be of some help. A lot of this procedure won't be relevant to your window but we show you how to properly release the shoe and guide it back into the balance.

See my attached photos.
IS this what you're calling a "knife lock shoe"??
IF so - I think it's broken.
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 1F541009-7271-4630-89CD-6651541D2293.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 936C049D-6876-433D-B4AC-E43ECE679F43.jpeg
Profile picture of Tom

That is not the shoe, no. That is part of the pulley system, which is meant to be permanently affixed inside the metal channel. What I'm talking about is at the end of the cord and extends from and retracts into the metal channel as you open and close your window.

How to install a ribbed tilt channel balance with knife lock shoe
How to install a ribbed tilt channel balance with knife lock shoe
VIDEO
WATCH >
Classifying Channel Balance Fittings
Classifying Channel Balance Fittings
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.