Bi-Fold Door repair question

A quick learner from USA says:
I have a bi-fold door that won't stay in place on the pivot/stationary side. There's a big gap between the top pin and the hole in the top metal guide plate. The top pin is approx. 5 1/4 long and 1/4 wide.

Can you tell me what the issue is? Is it the bottom pin or top pin? What parts do I need?

Is there a diagram, manual or video available to show how to repair the issue?
User submitted photos of closet door hardware.
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
Unfortunately, your doors were made back in the 70's and the instruction sheets are gone. I pulled up a generic video on bi fold doors for you, I think it may help. You can view it on the right side of this page.

Looking at your photos, I think you would adjust the bottom pivot pin to raise the door. It looks like you don't have much thread left and your top pivot pin is already extended. Another way is to remove the top track and add a thin piece of wood to shorten the door's height opening.
A home owner from USA says:
Thank you for suggesting parts; I purchased them all. I was able to fix/lift the door so now it works fine. :) The threaded bottom pivot rod was a little short but I was able to use my old one. I'm also purchasing additional 5/16" nylinders since I'm missing several.

Now, the door doesn't rest flush (i.e. the center sticks out a little into the hall). Can you recommend a fix?

Also, one side of a hinge came undone (there are three hinges so it still functions okay overall), can you recommend a fix?

Thank you for your help!

Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
Hmmm... you probably need a new rubber door bumper for the top and bottom track, perhaps something like our 21-280 . They work as a snugger to keep the door closed. As for the hinge, they are tack welded onto the door. You could use our 23-405 hinge and install with a #6 X 3/8" flat head screw, but removing the old hinge may be an issue.
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)