Bi Fold Doors Bottom Bracket (home built in 1963)

A quick learner from 30064 says:
My home was built in 1963. The plastic piece in the bottom bracket is work, as a result the door sometimes falls when we try to open it. We'd like to replace only the bottom bracket. Note that the bracket "hangs" from the side of the closet, it does not sit on the floor.
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named DoorBracketFront.JPG
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named DoorBracketInstalled.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named DoorBracketRemoved.JPG
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named DoorBracketRemoved2ndPicture.JPG
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named DoorBracketSide.JPG
see measurements in attached photos. Also to state them in this text: bottom of bracket(with plastic) is 2 inches by 1 1/8 inches; the site of bracket that attaches to wall is 2 1/4 high by 7/8 wide;

Thumbnail of the uploaded file named DoorBracketRemoved2ndPicture_LI.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named DoorBracketSide_LI.jpg
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:

I do agree with you in this bottom door bracket being very old. We offer a similar one that may work great as a substitute. Take a look at the 23-305 and see what you think. Get back to us with a photo or two of the pin with the side end that fits in your bracket.  

Hello, See attached photos of pin from side and also from bottom to see what inserts into bracket. Also attached is a photo of the other door pin sitting in the hinge. I notice that the 23-305 has a hole in the front of the bottom of the bracket, this makes me think the bracket is designed to sit on the floor. My bracket hangs from the wall, and is 3/4 inch from the floor. If I end up using a floor bracket I do not think the pin will be long enough. Thanks in advance for your help.
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named ClosetDoorPin.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named ClosetDoorPinSideView.JPG
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named ClosetDoorInstalled.jpg
Profile picture of Paul

Thanks for the additional photos. I am afraid I am unable to locate any pivots like yours. With the 23-305, it will accept a 1/4" pin that may work for you. Although it is made for the florr, you can install it the same way as your old pivot. 

Thanks Paul, I ordered the part. I believe it will work for me. My doors are a bit on the heavy side. Do you think this part will be strong enough to allow only a side mounting, or would you recommend supporting the bottom with wood to keep the bracket from bending over time. As I indicated in my previous post, the bracket will be about 3/4 of an inch above the floor.
Profile picture of Paul

I believe you should be fine. With your current jamb brackets looking similar to the new ones, there shouldn't be a problem. The 23-205 should hold up just as well to the weight.

Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)