Bonneville window sash support

A home owner from Massachusetts says:

Gentlemen;

We haave Bonneville double-hung windows and some of the sash support systems are starting to fail. It seems the shoe breaks or won't stay connected to the sash for some reason. Can you tell me what I will need in order to fix this? I believe we had these windows installed about 15 years ago. See attached photos. Thanks for your help.

Richard 

Thumbnail of the uploaded file named tempImage3lVHHd.gif
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named tempImagesPZor0.gif
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

Hello,

Your photos resemble the S751 channel balance but I would strongly recommend removing an undamaged balance from your window to confirm that the shoe matches the 15-014 and that the metal channel is ribbed. It appears to be but it is hard to be positive while it's installed. Take a look and see what you think. 

I am just getting back to this and do need to find a resolution. I have one window that appears to have unbroken shoes but that do not stay attached in the sash. I am unclear as to how to remove them to examine and get you a better picture. Can you help with that? Also, the track is 9/16" x 27 3/8" measuring from the sill to the top where there is a cover. (see photo).

Do the replacement parts come with installation instructions? I am a reasonably competent DIYer but it is not obvious how these tracks come out. Once we identify the part I will order one set to be sure then I will need a bunch. Thanks for you help!

Regards.

Dick

Thumbnail of the uploaded file named tempImageW5cTx8.gif
Profile picture of Tom

Hello, Dick. We don't have written instructions for removing this kind of balance but we do have an older video that you may find helpful. This covers the usual removal process for most windows of this type, but please note that there are exceptions. It's a good place to start at the very least.

To summarize, I'm very confident that the Series 751 is the same base configuration as your balance. The only thing I'm not sure about is whether your shoe has the same design as the default 15-014, or if you have something else. This Series has been known to use multiple different style knife lock shoes, and everything other than the 15-014 has to be custom made. 

Again, thanks. I watched the video but there are no visible screws that would release the jamb liner. Is it possible we have to remove interior trim to access these things? I can't tell if your 15-014 is a match without accessing an unbroken one so I'm stuck. What do you suggest?

Regards,

Dick

PS: The picture shows a broken one that will not connect to the sash.
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named tempImagebM0QBf.gif
Profile picture of Tom

It's entirely possible that your balances were dropped into the jamb from the top when the window was installed. You may be able to pull the jamb out after you've removed both the top and bottom sashes. Removing the header may also be necessary, though less likely.

Some windows aren't made to be repaired. The window manufacturer would rather you buy a new window than just one small repair part. In your case, that means that partial disassembly of the window frame like I mentioned may be required. If you aren't comfortable with that kind of project, you may want the assistance of a local professional, just to be safe.

Thank you. I think this may very well be a job for a professional.

Regards,

Dick
How to install a ribbed tilt channel balance with knife lock shoe
How to install a ribbed tilt channel balance with knife lock shoe
VIDEO
WATCH >
Classifying Channel Balance Fittings
Classifying Channel Balance Fittings
GUIDE
READ >
How to install a S775 balance
How to install a S775 balance
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.