Broken One Side of Spiral Balance For Single Hung Windows

A home owner from San Francisco, CA says:

Hi,

I am uploading some pictures for the broken spiral balance spring for my single hung windows which is from MI Windows and Doors. You can see that the left side of spiral balance was broken while the right side of spiral balance is working fine. But it won't hold off the window. The last picture is the warrant sticker from MI Windows and Doors.

Would you help me locate the part I need?

Thank you so much

Ivor

Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_20210710_174823.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_20210710_174819.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_20210710_182600.jpg
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:

Hello!

It looks like your MI window is using the 15-199 pivot shoe with 1/2" wide coil springs, which would be our Series 160. The spring weight will be stamped on the coil spring. Your coil spring cover should look like our 15-150D. Look it over and see what you think. We've also related some videos on this page that you may find helpful.

Hi Paul,

Thanks so much for looking over at my post. I appreciate your time and recommendation. Would you mind letting me how many of each of these, Series 160 and 15-150D I need to purchase? For Series 160, how much lb should I need? I don't seem to find the stamp or imprint from anywhere. Any suggestion and recommendation is greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance
Ivor
Profile picture of Paul

You'll need to weigh your sash and then tell us the weight so we can figure out the coil spring weights. For the nylon covers, if your old ones aren't broken, you can reuse them.

Thanks Paul.

I reached out the window manufacturer for the specification of the window. Here is what they replied:

"Your balance will be an omega, the weight of the sash is 15.3 lbs and will require size 9 balances for both sides."

Would you let me know exactly what I need?

Thanks much,
Ivor
Profile picture of Paul

Hey, Ivor.

As per the manufacturer's recommendations, you will need two 15-199 pivot shoes, two S160-9 coil springs and two 15-150S nylon coil spring housings. This will take care of one sash. Please note, you don't have to replace everything, just what is broken. 

Hi Paul,

Thank you so much for your advice. I've made the order for these item. Really appreciate the help! It is great great service and it is very smooth process.

Best
Ivor
Profile picture of Paul

It was my pleasure and thank you for the kind words, Ivor. We truly appreciate your business! If you have any future hardware questions just let us know, we'll be here to help. 

Hi Paul,

My contractor did not have time to fix the window until this month. But it appears that the coil is not the right size. I uploaded pictures for the one I purchased from Swisco, which is the bronze color, and the old one which is the silver color. You can see that the size of the inner circles for these two coils are different so that it does not fit the window. I also include a picture for the old coil that fits into the support, but the new coil that does not fit the support. Would that be possible to tell what size of coil I should purchase based on the pictures?

Thanks
Ivor
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20220407_173157.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20220407_173209.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20220407_173221.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_20220414_134410.jpg
Hi Paul,

Or maybe a right size support that fits the new coil?

Ivor
Profile picture of Paul

In the last photo you're showing the two coil springs, S160-9 with the pivot shoe, 15-199 and 15-150S housing. It appears they are not lined up correctly. 

Turn the pivot shoe up with the holes for the coil spring to lock on. Then, turn the coil spring housings around with the bumper down to the pivot shoes. Place the coil springs on top of the bumpers and hook the coil spring to the pivot shoe. When you screw the coil spring housing, it will hold the coil spring in place. They don't require a center wheel inside. Let me know if this helps.

How to Replace a Triple Coil Balance System
How to Replace a Triple Coil Balance System
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to remove window pivot shoes
How to remove window pivot shoes
VIDEO
WATCH >
Anatomy of a tilt window
Anatomy of a tilt window
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to replace a window coil balance
How to replace a window coil balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
Removing a Triple Coil Window Balance
Removing a Triple Coil Window Balance
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.