Broken Pella window balance

A quick learner from Charlottesville, VA says:
I have a broken cord on a Pella, double-sash, tilting, vinyl replacement window. I do not know how to remove the balance from the window channel. The metal part of the balance is 24" long and has 24B BSI TC stamped on it. The window cord is attached to a V-shaped metal clip that goes into an opening near the top of the channel on the window frame. I'm a handy homeowner who knows which end of a screwdriver to use. Is this repair a DIY project? I'd like to handle the repair myself if possible.
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Pella window sash balance clip in side of frame.jp
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Pella window sash balance stamping info.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Pella window sash balance in channel.jpg
Profile picture of Emily
Emily from SWISCO responded:

Hello there!

Your balance is a match for our Series 795, but you'll notice that this installs with a screw tab, while yours installs with a 15-198 hook. We can still help, this will need to be a custom order due to that difference. To start, I'll just need to see a picture of your T-lock shoe removed from the window. Can you also confirm the quantity you'd like? 

To answer your other question: Yes, you should be able to do this repair yourself if you're comfortable with doing so. I recommend watching the video below for removal and replacement details. This video is specifically about replacing an older kind of balance, the crossbow balance, with the Series 795. But you will also see some basic installation information as well. Just keep in mind that your balance won't screw in at the top; rather you'll just slide in the hook into the slit in your jamb track.

Hello Emily. Many, many thanks for your instructional reply and the educational videos! Understood on all counts. 

From the video with info on removing a balance, I was able to do so but with some difficulty. The twisting motion to get the balance turned in the jamb track sheared off the top end of the plastic T-lock shoe. I did get one unit removed in one piece. Additional photos of the T-lock shoes are attached. 

Also, I've discovered similar issues in another window which I've labeled as "kitchen window". The balances are 20" long and stamped with 20C BSI TG. A photo of the stamping is attached. Also, the window sash for the window with the 24B balances weighs approx. 14 lb. The kitchen window weighs approx. 10 lb. I will need 2 ea 24B replacements and 2 ea 20C replacements. 

I understand my order for the replacement units will be a custom order as my units have hooks on the ends. Will you please let me know the cost of the balances + shipping + any other charges? Also, please let me know how you want to handle payment. I'll then supply you with the shipping address and any other info you require. 

Please pass on my appreciation to the great minds that set up how to add photos to submittals. Very easy. Again, I'm grateful for your help. You really know your stuff! Thank you!

Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Pella balance hook.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Pella T-lock shoe front side.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Pella T-lock shoe back side.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Pella Pivot Bar end view.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Pella stamp info on kitchen window balances.jpg
Profile picture of Emily

Perfect, thanks for the additional pictures and information! What I'll do now is email you purchase links and price quotes for (2) balances with the 24B stamp and (2) with the 20C stamp that you can use to place an order on our website. These replacements will come with the 15-198 hook and 15-194 T-lock shoe attached. If you have any questions just let me know! 

Hi Emily! Wanted to thank you again for all your help. The "How to Convert a Crossbow Balance to a Channel Balance" video for how to get the old balances out and the new balances in was a great resource. Per our recent communications, my new SWISCO balances arrived recently and I installed them today. All went well. I'm greatly impressed with your product and the on-line support you provided. We have 16 Pella vinyl windows in our home. Through the experience of replacing the balances in two of the windows, I now feel you've "taught me to fish" so I can handle any other windows that may need the same repair. Again, a great experience working with SWISCO. Thank you! John 

Profile picture of Emily

Hey, John!

That's so awesome to hear! I'm glad I could help and I truly appreciate your kind words. Please let us know if we can assist with any future repairs, we'd be more than happy to help! 

A home owner from VALDOSTA GA says:
I can send photos of what Pella parts have broken, are missing. Similar or identical to what I'm looking at already posted here. But need to know where to find exact part identification.
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

Hello! You may submit photos of your hardware right here for us to review. Even if your parts are similar to the hardware above, there are a ton of small design elements to these balances that may make a huge difference. Photos will eliminate all doubt and allow us to determine what you have and whether we sell anything that can replace them.

How to Install a T-Lock Shoe on a Channel Balance
How to Install a T-Lock Shoe on a Channel Balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Convert a Crossbow Balance to a Channel Balance
How to Convert a Crossbow Balance to a Channel Balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to install the 26-200 Screw Plug
How to install the 26-200 Screw Plug
VIDEO
WATCH >
Classifying Channel Balance Fittings
Classifying Channel Balance Fittings
GUIDE
READ >
Modifying the Series 795 Balance
Modifying the Series 795 Balance
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.