Broken channel balance

A quick learner from Tamarac says:
Hello. One of my window channel balance has moved up to the top of the frame. The window is closed. This balance appears to be in tension. My question is : how do I reposition the balance, if needed, as it is extremely difficult to move down or do I hold the other balance in place with the clip and try to remove the window?

The video on how to replace non-tilt channel balances deals with the balances in their properly held height. My balance is at the top of the frame. Is their a particular method to remove this balance given the abnormal position of the balance.

Please advise, I appreciate your assistance.
Profile picture of Bob
Bob from SWISCO responded:

Thanks for posting. Good question. It sounds like to me one of your top sash guides broke. The top sash guides are nylon caps in the top corners of the window sash. Their purpose is to hold the channel balance in place during window operation. Over time, the top sash guides can break due to sun exposure and age. When this happens, the channel balance shoots past the sash and up the window track, exactly as you're describing.

We can help you replace the top sash guide. To get a hold of the runaway channel balance, you will need to manually press down on the top of the channel balance so it descends past the take-out clip, then use a flathead screwdriver to release the take-out clip. Then you must carefully raise the channel balance up to the take-out clip. Be careful indeed, as there will still be tension in the balance as you noticed. You will then be able to remove the window sash and take out the top sash guide. See the video below.

You can view our selection of replacement top sash guides here. If you need our help in identifying the right replacement, we will need to see an undamaged version removed from the window, with 'mugshot' pictures of the front and side. 

Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.