Can spiral balance be fixed or needs replacing?

A quick learner from London Ontario says:

Hello:

Everytime I unlock the latch to these windows, the top sash drops down. The bottom window slides up and down ok. The only way to hold up the top sash is to lock the latch. I am also having difficulty removing the windows. Is there a trick to removing them??

Re issue at hand based on the pics, can the spiral balances on either side of top sash be fixed or are they broken and will need to be replaced? The spiral piece seems to have separated from the green tip. If top window balance requires replacement, should the bottom ones also be replaced even though bottom window is ok so far? The windows were installed 10-15 yrs ago.

Thanks very kindly. I would appreciate any info you can provide including info on tools for the job.

Sincerely,

Mimi

Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_20201007_074338.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_20201007_074322.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_20201007_074118.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_20201007_074118.jpg
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

Hello, Mimi. The problem is definitely weak balances. You could try charging them a couple times with a tool like our 75-006. That can sometimes give new life to old balances. If that doesn't work, though, then you need new ones. Let me know in that case and we can work from there.

For instructions on how to properly charge this kind of balance, and how to remove the sash, I recommend watching the video below.

Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.