Casement crank help needed

A contractor from Oxford, PA says:

hello,

I could use some help.

A customer of mine is in need of new crank arms, handle and case cover as you can see and wanted to know if this is something I can get from you and if so, what info from the window or hardware do you need? I have not been there yet so I have no measurements, but here are some photos to start.

Any help would be appreciated.

thanks much

Jason

Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 1.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 2.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 3.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_0803.jpg
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

Hello, Jason! This old GU operator has been discontinued for many years now, but the good news is that we have a modern replacement that works just as well with a little handy work. The video below will cover everything you need to know to get started, but please let me know if you had any questions.

Hey there, thanks very much for the info. I thought I replied to this, but clearly did not send through. 

BUT I see there is a stud bracket, how will I know where to drill this into the bottom of the sash? Do I use existing holes on the sash or are there instructions that come with the part? 

For the detach clip, why do I need to install that upside down on the link arm of the new operator? why not right side up like it normally is? 

Lastly, I noticed there is a gap at the are where the operator goes into the frame, does Ellipse gasket part # 39-564 cover that up? Where is that part used, outside or inside the frame? or is it not part of this at all and I should just use white sealant? 

Do any of the parts come with screws? What size screws do I use for the stud bracket if none come with it? 

Thank you, kindly.Jason

Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Detach clip.JPG
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Small gap.JPG
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Stud bracket.JPG
Profile picture of Tom

Hello again, Jason. That's a lot of questions! I'll do my best to answer them one at a time.

Concerning the stud bracket, you shouldn't need to drill new holes at all. You can see in our video that we simply removed the old bracket and then screwed the new style right in its place. No instructions come with these parts, unfortunately, since this is an "unofficial" conversion. The video guide above is the only guide we have.

You have to install the detach clip upside down on the new operator because that's what's required by the new style bracket.

The 39-564 is compatible with the 39-316 operator, yes. This gasket should help fill that gap you mentioned. This is typically installed inside the house. I don't recommend using sealant at all since that will make these operators much more difficult to replace years down the line. Do your future self a favor and don't seal these in like that.

These parts do not come with screws, unfortunately, but you can reuse pretty much all the old screws.

OK, great, thanks for info. One last thing...what size screws do I use in the stud bracket for the underside of the sash??
Profile picture of Tom

The 39-514 bracket is designed to take a #8 screw, like our 33-083. The length may be different than this, though. If you can, I recommend using the screws for the original bracket as a reference to know what size you need.

How to Replace a Discontinued GU Operator
How to Replace a Discontinued GU Operator
VIDEO
WATCH >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.