Certainteed vinyl window won't stay open, and won't tilt.

A home owner from San Diego says:
It looks like there is some sort of stop in the track of the vinyl window that is broken and slid down the track to the pivot shoe. There is supposed to be two of these on each side it appears. Somehow this has affected it staying open, and has blocked the tilt mechanism so I can't get to the broken pieces.
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

We may be able to help, but it looks like your photos didn't upload. Can you try submitting them again? Once I have them on hand, I will do my best to assist you.

Try again. Seems like the broken "stops" are blocking the tilt/pivot. Looks like I might be able to unscrew the pivot bar at the bottom of the window sash frame, but not sure what happens then. Wayne
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_4536.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_4534.jpeg
Profile picture of Tom

Thanks! That's not a stop, that looks like the balance assembly itself. If you only have one installed in your window, then that would explain why your window won't stay open.

We can definitely help but I will need more detailed information. To start, I will need to see a picture of the balance assembly removed from the window in its entirety. I'm afraid too many important details are obscured by the window in your current photos. I specifically need to see the pivot shoe, which is the most important detail. I will also need to know how thick the spring is.

The video below may be of some help.

So the video was helpful so I could learn the "anatomy" of the window. I went to another vinyl window we have that is working correctly and it appears it is a coil spring type. I see (on my reverse angle camera shot), and feel, the metal band inside the frame. Photos are my normal window. I can learn more by taking out the window and start dissecting the normal window, but want to check first, and still not sure how to approach the non-tilting windows to get to the pivot shoe.
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 58CBD9A0-662A-4B35-9425-D3FFF2E6D570.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named C23EDFF1-AAB2-4B1F-B88D-EBAF9EB31C30.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 7635CFAC-E99A-4072-A9A4-1C5A5EAEDB26.jpeg
Further investigation. Indeed, those are coil balances, 2 on each side, 1 band on each inside surface. It appears that the screws holding them loosened and then allowed the coil assembly to disengage towards the pivot shoe. I noted the remaining units had loose screws, that I tightened. The problem now is that the screws are backed out of the disengaged ones and are now blocking the tilting of the sash. Anyway to disassemble from below?
View from below.
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named EC83BF0A-A80F-4356-98F5-3438E698BCCE.jpeg
Profile picture of Tom

These windows aren't really meant to be disassembled from below. I guess you could try to unscrew the pivot bar and see if you can remove the sash that way, but I'm not sure how well that will work. I have to stress that these aren't meant to be removed that way. You have to be very careful. The last thing you want to do is break the window frame itself.

I can at least yell you what kind of balances you have. These are Certainteed brand coil assemblies. The video below will outline what parts you have and how they work together.

Success. Got a little bolder once I saw the video and the anatomy. Raised the window, tilted slightly, slid a thin screwdriver along the sash just above the pivot. Trapped the coil assembly by the exposed screw heads and then lowered the window to space the pivot shoe and the coil assembly, giving a little more wiggle room for the sash to clear the heads. Got full tilt and then removed sash. I remounted the coil assemblies about a half inch lower for new screw holes (the down side of vinyl), even the intact ones. Cleaned and re-asseembled, working fine. I will get a couple back up coil assemblies, and I have a broken trigger on a sash latch (vinyl!). Thanks for the videos and your help. The pivot bar has a side screw that I would not have been able to get to. They were all loose as well.
Profile picture of Tom

Awesome! Glad to hear you got it worked out. Please let me know if we can be of any help in the future.

Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.