Champion Spiral Balance - NonTilt Window

A quick learner from Houston, Tx says:
Champion windows installed on newly constructed beach house in 1980. All the balances have rusted and the casing have broken off. The windows have to be held open with a stick.

1. How do I remove the balances?
2. Once I remove the balance, I know I can clean the spiral balance and get is looking new again. Can I just purchase the tube and bottom clip for this particular spiral balance? If yes, which parts would I purchase? If no, what replacement parts would I need?
3. How do I reinstall the balances?
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 01_WindowBrand.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 02_WindowTag.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 03_BalanceBottom.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 05_BalanceTop.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 06_ClipBottomOfWindowLeft.jpg
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

Thanks for reaching out to us. Hopefully we can help with your project. I'll address each question one at a time.

1. Since you have non-tilt windows, your balance is probably hooked to the bottom of the sash. I can sorta see a hook in your fifth and final picture, but it's hard to make out the exact style. You'll want a tool like our 75-005 to hook onto a hole in the spiral rod itself, then pull it down to unhook it from the sash. Make sure to have a friend hold up the sash while you do this; once the balances are unhooked, there will be nothing to keep the sash raised and it will fall straight down with all its weight behind it.
  2. I'm afraid the tube isn't sold separately. The clip might be, but I'll need a better shot of it in order to identify what you need. 
  3. Reinstalling the balances would just be reversing the process of uninstalling them. Screw it in at the top, give it 2-3 turns with the charging tool, then hook it back to the bottom of the sash. Once again, you'll want someone to hold the sash up while you do this.

Hopefully that covers it. Let me know if you have any questions!

I've attached additional pics of the balances. The casing or tube for these balances was plastic (see pic 8 & 9).

What replacement parts do you suggest I get for my windows?

Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 08_BalanceLength.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 09_BalanceBottom.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 10_BalanceTop.jpg
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

Thanks for getting back to me. This is exactly what we needed to see. For your Champion windows, you'll need a custom made Red Tip S306-29 balance with the 15-073 Bracket attached. We'd be happy to do this for you. How many balances do you need? From there, we'll send you a custom link to order these balances. Many thanks. 

When I took down the balances I noticed the bracket looks exactly like the one on the Red Tip S306-29 and not like the 15-073 bracket. Your thoughts?
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_20191210_124409468.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_20191210_124419747.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_20191210_124500935.jpg
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:

Thank you for the additional photos. Since you need the 15-066 spiral balance shoe, you can go with our S306-29 spiral balance with a red tip. Take a look and let us know if you have any other questions. 

Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)