Channel Balance and channel

A home owner from Texas says:
I need a channel balance and maybe a channel. The first picture is the top of the channel which is just plastic. It broker where the clip holds the spring up, but the clip could still easily hang over the edge. My questions are:
1 - Which channel balance do I get? There are no plastic end pieces on the channel balance so I wasn't sure which one to get.
2 - Do I need a new channel since it is broken at the top?

Thanks,
Greg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_2587.JPG
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_2585.JPG
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_2586.JPG
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:

Thanks for writing in your questions, Greg. It seems like you have a Series 751 channel balance with a 15-014 knife shoe attached. To remove them without damaging the vinyl jamb liners, you would need to remove both sashes. Next, pull out the jamb liners from the window frame. You will be able to release the knife shoe by placing a slot screw driver tip on the metal fork. From there, you slide out the ribbed balance and provide us with the length of the balance and the stamped number on the balance. We also placed some media guides on this page if you should need some additional assistance.

A quick learner says:
Thanks. I ?ll order those parts. Appreciate the help.
Profile picture of Paul

You're welcome. If you need any more help, or if you just want to show off your repair, feel free to check back in.

A quick learner says:
Hi Paul,

I am just finally getting around to ordering parts. I don't think this is the correct one. It says it for a window that tilts. My windows do not tilt. They are double hung, but no tilting.

Do you have some way for me to accurately determine the correct parts?

Thanks,
Greg
Profile picture of Paul

Greg, unless your window is broken, it should tilt. The very purpose of those cam pivots in your photos is to tilt the windows. Check for secondary latches at the top corners of the sash. They should release it to allow it to tilt.

How did you remove the window sash if it doesn't tilt?

A quick learner says:
Hi Paul,

The windows do not have the cam pivots. This is why I am thinking that we are looking at the wrong part.

Trust me, they don't pivot and were not designed to pivot.
Profile picture of Paul

I'm confused. This is a cam pivot in your photo, isn't it? This part has no purpose except to pivot and therefore tilt the window. I suppose someone could have used the wrong parts (tilt pivots and a tilt balance in a non-tilt window) but that would be the first time I've seen something like that. Let me know what's going on with the part in the photo, and let me know what function that part serves.

How did you remove the window without tilting it? You may also want to send a photo of the top left and right "shoulders" of the window sash, so I can see how the sash is secured.

photo of cam pivot
A quick learner says:
Well, I guess you are correct. I did tilt it to remove it, but was thinking you mean it could tilt as an option for opening.

I'll send more pictures when I can get home and take a few. Thank you so much for your help!
Profile picture of Paul

Oh, good. That clears it up for me. These parts are probably right for you. Take some more photos if you have any further trouble.

Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)