Channel Balancer

A quick learner from USA says:

Hello,

I placed an order and received it promptly but it appears that the plastic part on the lower end of the balancer may not match watch I have. These are S380's. The profile of the part seems nearly identical to mine but the portion that would ride up against the window sash (the plastic ramp portion with two protruding ramps) is 2mm taller on the new part.

I've attached some images comparing old/new and some measurements.

I thought maybe the old part had worn down a bit but other windows I had with less have the same 5mm height for that portion.

I had ordered a set of s380's way back in 2016 and they did fit a window (perhaps they were wrong or I got luck and had enough play in that window for them to work).

I tried to install the two shortest s380's I ordered in my kitchen window but the sash was just about stuck (almost impossible to move up or down, sides wedges in with the new balancers). I was able to get it out so that is when I compared parts more closely.

Please let me know what you think.

Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Side profile.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Side profile - new has 2mm taller ramps.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named old vs new.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named old 5mm.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named new swisco 7mm (1).jpg
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

Thanks for reaching out to us. Rather than measure the projection of the ramp, can you instead tell me the total depth of that bottom shoe? That's how these are meant to be measured. I just want to be 100% sure that we get you the right hardware.

If they end up being 7/8" deep then your balance will have to be custom made with a 15-029 bottom fitting. Once you've confirmed that depth, I'll email you a purchase link and price quote that you can use to place your order.

A quick learner from USA says:
They measure 7/8" as you mentioned they might. Thanks for pointing this out as I had one of the balancers I installed come up past the top cap just last night so perhaps the larger bottom fitting is the issue.

Since I already have the s380s, can I drill out the bottom rivet and replace just the plastic cap? It looks like you also carry the rivet tool/rivets available.

Thank You!
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

Sure, if you're fine with that that then it's totally possible. Not a lot of customers are comfortable drilling out rivets and all that so they tend to just opt for an all new balance, but changing nylon fittings is a quick and effective solution in situations like this. See our 15-029 shoe, 62-005 rivet, and 75-075 rivet tool. You may also find the video below to be helpful.

Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.