Channel Balances and pivot bar replacement

A quick learner from Houston, TX says:
I am looking to replace channel balances on windows at my beach house. Balances on all windows are failing due to rust. The spring in the balance is rusted and the metal insertion part of the balance that connects the balance to the window is also rusted out. I found no identifying labels on the actual window to let me see the window brand. The windows are around 35" wide by 47" tall. I removed on channel balance and included pics that have any identifying numbers, etc. The only number on the balance is 18 5 BSI RK. The identifying info only the clip that goes into the end of the balance is Pat #0467490. There is also number on the same part that says Pat # 6,679,000. There is one more Pat # that I cannot quite make out. I will ultimately need thirty balances for fifteen windows. Two of windows are bathroom and slightly smaller so I will need to measure balances for those.
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 425D8B2B-3D0A-461E-A623-1B71D7411A6D.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 3581B476-032C-4B76-BB97-02B8C56A2AC0.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 4D71FA5E-660A-4A5F-8D89-866F93A8E1C9.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named C4E74866-BCE1-4510-8E76-F581DE728A6B.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 99C32757-3516-48AD-BCCC-0731E9B0320F.jpeg
Profile picture of Bob
Bob from SWISCO responded:

Thanks for writing in. This looks like a Series 795 Channel Balance. You'll want to measure the exact length of the metal channel, not including the T-Lock Shoe at the bottom, to confirm the length needed. To know what stamp option you need, it's best to get the exact weight of each window sash. You can then match that exact weight with one of the weight ranges listed alongside each stamp option on the product page. Finally, you'll want to determine the identity of the T-Lock Shoe at the bottom of each balance. The shoe you show in your photos looks like it might be our 15-195B 1-1/4" Open Cam T-Lock Shoe. If so, you can buy this shoe separately and swap it out with the shoe that comes by default with our Series 795 (the 15-195 Closed Cam 1-1/4" shoe). You'll want to check the shoe on each set of balances to confirm what you need. Let us know if you have any other questions.

Thanks a ton for the quick and thorough response. I will be back down at the house in January and take a scale with me to weigh windows (bottom part only I assume but if not please let me know). I will also get exact measurement of the balance. Once I have that info, I will place an order. Thanks again!!

Matt
Sorry. I do have one follow-up question. The other part that is rusted out is the metal piece that fits into the T lock shoe. I have taken a pic of the window itself that shows the rusted out part. The part on the other side is completely gone. Just an empty hole. Is that also a part that I can replace? Thanks!
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named F74FF03C-4A45-413C-AF4C-72754996D36E.jpeg
Profile picture of Bob
Bob from SWISCO responded:

It looks like you're showing us a pivot bar. We can help with a replacement as well, but you will need to remove it from the window and upload photos, with measurements, for us to see.

Ok, thanks. Seems logical that it could be a pivot bar as it's at the bottom of the window and the top of the window is designed such that it can lean inside of the house. I was assuming that piece inserts into the T lock shoe. Does that seem right? If it does not, then how does the T lock shoe connect to the window? I will be back down to the house later this month. Please let me know what to measure and I will take measurements and, if helpful, photos also. Thanks!
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:

Yes you are absolutely correct. Once you remove the part from the window, we need to know the length, and width of the part. And if there happens to be more than one screw hole on the pivot bar, we will need to know the distance between the holes. Thank you.

How to Install a T-Lock Shoe on a Channel Balance
How to Install a T-Lock Shoe on a Channel Balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Convert a Crossbow Balance to a Channel Balance
How to Convert a Crossbow Balance to a Channel Balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to install the 26-200 Screw Plug
How to install the 26-200 Screw Plug
VIDEO
WATCH >
Removing Rusted Pivot Bars
Removing Rusted Pivot Bars
VIDEO
WATCH >
Anatomy of a tilt window
Anatomy of a tilt window
VIDEO
WATCH >
Modifying the Series 795 Balance
Modifying the Series 795 Balance
GUIDE
READ >
Classifying Channel Balance Fittings
Classifying Channel Balance Fittings
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.